Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-just-given-30-quilt-tops-what-do-them-ideas-please-t80316.html)

lynnie 12-05-2010 11:41 AM

the military
enjoy your gift

kwiltkrazy 12-05-2010 11:42 AM

Do you belong to a guild, or church group, they could finish them for charity. He does excellent work, the colors are beautiful. Good luck.

Hammockhanger 12-05-2010 11:45 AM

There are a group of long arm quilters who will finish them and and them to the soldiers being transported to the hospital in Germany.

dede 12-05-2010 11:49 AM

You could donate them to your local church because most churches have ladies who come in to quilt and donate the quilts to charitable organizations both in the states and overseas. These are USUALLY older ladies who are retired and enjoy having an afternoon to sit and visit and keep their hands busy so it serves many "charitable" purposes. Looks and sounds like you have inherited a very remarkable "stash" for anyone who likes to quilt. You will enjoy and use is all, I'm sure. The thread spools alone are worth many dollars. Enjoy and cherish your friendships above all else!

dede 12-05-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by bob1414
I would think residents of nursing homes could tie them and they'd probably enjoy having something to do!

Tell me about your batiks, please....

Baloonatic 12-05-2010 01:14 PM

Your local quilt guild's philanthropic group would be happy to finish them and donate them to a worthy cause. Or send them to me, I'll do it :)

1screech 12-05-2010 10:06 PM

I am a new longarmer. I would love to have a couple to practice on and then donate to a charity. Probably others who need practice would love to have some also.

wraez 12-05-2010 10:51 PM

There are LQS that will quilt donation quilts for free. Maybe they even have a list of worthwhile causes that they would pass the finished quilts to. Or check with local quilt guilds who take quilts, fabrics etc for their charitable projects.

This time of year lots of senior homes, elderly homes, and homes for the infirm would love to have nice warm coverings.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Nona 12-06-2010 08:42 AM

Check with your local guild for a "Bee" that does charity or donation work. I am currently working on a "brick" scrap quilt that was given to our Bee by the daughter of a 93 year old who had passed away. All the pieces were cut and baged with the directions. She brought 6 boxes of material which contained finished blocks, jelly rolls, and 2 in squares. Everyone took a bag of something. I guess it will make close to 10 lap size quilts. Some of the material was not to my personal liking, but the cost was right. The only cost to our Bee is the cost of batting. We have enough donated fabric for the backing. Don't forget to donate the thread that you do not want to use. That saves us money too. We are a small group and we vitually work on donated money or materials.