Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I learned Cathedral Window Today! Thanks Eddie!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-learned-cathedral-window-today-thanks-eddie-t99188.html)

babyfireo4 02-12-2011 07:53 PM

Love it?

brenda21 02-12-2011 07:55 PM

oh WOW!!

fidgety 02-12-2011 08:02 PM

I like yours! I to want to do this someday but for now it has been baby stuff. I have to make 2 of everything for the twins due real soon...

sushi 02-12-2011 08:02 PM

Absolutely stunning!

Like you, I've been experimenting with CW - using Eddie's tutorial. While I tried to skip a step or two (like tacking down the points), I've come to regret it. Looks like you did a good job of that. What suggestions can you make to help the rest of us?

What size background squares did you start with? I've gone from 8" up to 13 5/8" squares without any problems - except that the resulting product from the largest squares is crude compared to quilts made from the smaller.

Thank you for sharing your photo. I hope you're share the knowledge you've acquired, as well.

indycatcarol 02-12-2011 08:10 PM

Love the pink you have used with it.

hperttula123 02-12-2011 08:14 PM

That is beautiful!!!

DogHouseMom 02-12-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by sushi
Absolutely stunning!

Like you, I've been experimenting with CW - using Eddie's tutorial. While I tried to skip a step or two (like tacking down the points), I've come to regret it. Looks like you did a good job of that. What suggestions can you make to help the rest of us?

What size background squares did you start with? I've gone from 8" up to 13 5/8" squares without any problems - except that the resulting product from the largest squares is crude compared to quilts made from the smaller.

Thank you for sharing your photo. I hope you're share the knowledge you've acquired, as well.

I started with 8.5" squares. Eddies example was 8.75" so these were close.

I wouldn't try not tacking down the points. In fact, the first ones I tacked, I had too many stitches. I think 2 on each point is fine, then I backstitched to make sure, but now after doing it I dont' think I needed to backstitch. The problem with too much tacking (I know now) is that you can't raise the edge of the fabric to make a good point when inserting the window.

When I sewed on the "window" I took a short cut. Instead of cuting my thread after each point, I raised the needle and foot, gently turned the piece, re-folded the next line and started again (pulling up the short amount of additional thread). My example isn't a good example of how this *could* work because of the additional tacking stitches I was using. As I got further into the piece, reduced the amount of tack stitches, it seemed like a likely method for saving time/thread. But you have to make sure to sew all the way to the tippy point.

Since joining this board I became a big fan of starch. I didn't however use starch in this project because I was afraid the edges wouldn't "roll" onto the window. I used steam to get a good flat press.

Lastly, choose a very light weight "frame" or "backing" fabric. I made a poor choice. Batiks are perfect I think.

MDMPanther 02-12-2011 09:21 PM

Nice job!!....I discovered Eddie's tutorial a couple of weeks ago too and did a practice one....currently deciding on fabrics for my actual one!! Love the color of yours...but I love batiks in just about any color anyway!!! :)