Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I love Scrappy Mountain Majesties (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-love-scrappy-mountain-majesties-t267641.html)

Annaquilts 07-17-2015 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=AngeliaNR;7258754]Lovely quilt--I've seen the pattern and have wondered, is it hard to put together?[/QUOTE

Hope it is OK to jump in. It is not hard to put together but I found pressing the seams open, when sewing the strips, is very helpful.

Annaquilts 07-17-2015 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 7258683)
I finished quilting Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Mountain Majesties a couple of weeks ago and delivered it to my friend last weekend. She was simply overwhelmed. She said it reminded her of pine trees. I may have to make another of these for myself. Thirty-three green fabrics and 31 neutrals - most of them fat quarter gifts from another friend who was cleaning out her stash. It was really fun using fabrics that I would never have chosen for myself, some of them really ugly, to make this beautiful pattern. Sorry if the photo is sideways. I have a new MAC and sometimes the photos turn out rotated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525300[/ATTACH]

This is a very pretty quilt. You did a great job!

feline fanatic 07-17-2015 10:53 AM

I love this in the greens!

lynnie 07-17-2015 11:32 AM

such beautiful work!!

carolynjo 07-17-2015 02:14 PM

That is so pretty! I hope you will make yourself one to enjoy also.

loisf 07-17-2015 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7258754)
Lovely quilt--I've seen the pattern and have wondered, is it hard to put together?

Angelina, it's not hard at all to piece. It's really quite fun. Although I did not buy specific fabric for the quilt and just used what I had, I was careful to put together a green and a neutral that looked good together. I'm way too OCD to just put any two fabrics together. Then when I was assembling the blocks, I made sure that one combination of each two colors was in each half of the quilt so it would look balanced. (One piece of green and one neutral makes two blocks, one uphill and one downhill).

After I had decided on the layout of the blocks, I pressed the seams to the left in the odd numbered rows and to the right on the even numbers. This helped the blocks nest together at the seams. I was going to work on this quilt in the odd times when I didn't feel like anything too difficult or when I had only a half hour or so to quilt. But once I got going on it, I just couldn't stop. I hope you try it.

Anna, I'm sure pressing the seams open works well too. I'm just a little lazier than you are. Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments.

AngeliaNR 07-17-2015 02:57 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Teacup 07-17-2015 06:01 PM

I've had this pattern on my bucket list...love your version in greens!

Camille 07-17-2015 06:12 PM

Scrappy's are my favorites. You did a great job.

annette1952 07-17-2015 06:48 PM

I can see why your friend was overwhelmed. It is gorgeous. Great job!