Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I need your input please on twin size quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-need-your-input-please-twin-size-quilt-t178004.html)

barbt 02-03-2012 08:59 AM

I need your input please on twin size quilt

4 Attachment(s)
I need some help on my twin size quilt. The printed fabric is 42 inches wide and i want to make a border with gold, red and blue. Would that look alright when I make the border strips each 6 inches wide? Please help.[ATTACH=CONFIG]308502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]308503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]308505[/ATTACH]

breezyquilts 02-03-2012 09:01 AM

Just my opinion, but the three colors seem to over power the quilt. You might see what it would look like with just two of the colors??

jme 02-03-2012 09:20 AM

I think you should make two thin borders and 1 wide. You want to see that cute fabric better.

lollygagging 02-03-2012 10:01 AM

I think a 6" border of each color would overwhelm your prints. They are too cute to overpower. Possibly a first border of each color in 2" strips, then a 6" piano key border using the three colors and finish with a second border of each color in 2" strips. That way you would still have the width you needed but the borders wouldn't be as bold. BTW, I really love the fireman fabrics you've chosen and the border colors really work well with the firemen. Thanks for sharing.

QuiltnLady1 02-03-2012 10:21 AM

I agree with lollygagging about having a narrow first border , the piano keys, ant then an outer boarder but I would throw in some other, less strong colors. If you have some of the focal fabric, it would be good to include that in the piano keys -- I would also use whatever is the background of the focal fabric(white or beige). I do a lot of piano keys and I find that when you use such strong fabrics, it helps to use a print that is in the quilt as well.

Jammin' Jane 02-03-2012 12:13 PM

Yup, I think piano keys would really look nice on this quilt! Please show us again when you finish it! :)

TanyaL 02-03-2012 12:47 PM

These colors look garish. I recommend you match the colors in the border of your fabric very exactly.

MdmSew'n'Sew 02-03-2012 01:42 PM

I agree, smaller strips, even better if they're not all the same width, makes it too rigid-looking, maybe 2, 3 and 2 " inside, piano keys, then 3,2 and 3" outside - still symmetrical but not stodgy. And the piano keys would be great, esp. if you have more of the top fabric to use with the solids, maybe some black, white and a lighter blue from the top, do you have any black/white dalmatian dots to add - that would be great binding too, what is backing?

Blinkokr 02-03-2012 01:48 PM

I think the border over whelm the quilt. I would do maybe a 1 1/2 in, then maybe a 3 in, and then a 6 in.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

barny 02-03-2012 01:52 PM

I would think 1 3 and 5. Just my opinion Barny