Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I Spy A Rainbow. My first quilt since surgery. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-spy-rainbow-my-first-quilt-since-surgery-t225542.html)

wildyard 07-10-2013 03:12 PM

I Spy A Rainbow. My first quilt since surgery.

3 Attachment(s)
This is the first quilt I have made since my knee replacement surgery. It is going to be a playing outside quilt for a neighbor's little girl who will be one soon. Rather than give up or repurpose the fabric, I decided to go with it and just make the best of each error.
First, I graphed the pattern, and cut all my fabrics from those measurements, rather than sewing my 9 patches and measuring their finished size.
Second, In the pattern, I planned for 5" squares in the I spy 9P, forgetting that, in fact, I had cut them at 5.5" to finish at 5" rather than to finish at 4.5".
Third, so of course, all my solid strips were in fact too short. I didn't have enough to recut them, so I decided to make them fit. LOL... this left the 9P's very puckery. I still ended up having to add small pieces to some of the outer solid strips to make them come out the right length.
Forth, so I decided to add extra batting to the 9P's to make them into little pillow areas for extra comfy napping on. You can see these in the 3rd photo....... and
Fifth, I mis-measured the backing center and ended up having to add a narrow purple strip to each side to make it wide enough.
All in all, I would say this quilt has taken me several weeks. I hope you all like the rainbow lemonade I finished up with after I made so many lemons, LOL. PS: I have NOT trimmed the backing yet nor added the binding.

jetayre 07-10-2013 03:23 PM

I can see the child playing happily on this bright quilt. I am scheduled for knee replacement surgery on the 12th of August. Have been trying to visualize how I will operate after and how long before I can sit at the Computer and sewing machine.

Tartan 07-10-2013 03:58 PM

Very cute!

redquilter 07-10-2013 04:07 PM

Think that turned out really cute. Nice and colorful. She'll love it. Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

tessagin 07-10-2013 04:09 PM

She will love it. Mom will love it. It is adorable.

LTeachergeorge 07-10-2013 04:31 PM

I love your quilt!! I certainly understand how difficult it can be to get back to quilting after knee surgery. I had both knees done April 11 and looked at books (and sewed binding on) during the early weeks. I wanted to start something new and not work on my UFO's, but I've forced myself to work on finishing some. (I also started one new "scrappy" quilt, which is in progress.) Hope your recovery goes well -- just do what they say and don't be in a hurry to be "good as new" !!!

Linda in Missouri

YC Quilter 07-10-2013 04:40 PM

Creative fixes for a cute quilt! Your one yr old will love it and never realize how you adapted it. Good work!

Grandma Bonnie 07-10-2013 05:35 PM

It's bright and beautiful and will be well loved by a one-year old! It will be perfect for her!

mtnative 07-10-2013 06:03 PM

I love your rainbow lemonade and its bright colors. Great work.

gabeway 07-11-2013 04:51 AM

Great job!