Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I'm proud of me! Look at my straight pieces! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/im-proud-me-look-my-straight-pieces-t170065.html)

DogHouseMom 11-27-2011 05:09 PM

I'm proud of me! Look at my straight pieces!

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I've been doing the last few days. These are strip sets of 5 fabrics, each strip is 1/4" finished, the finished size of the strip set is 1/5". You can see on the right that I've already sub-cut one of the strip sets into 3/4" pieces. I'll then mix them up and put them together to get a mosaic effect of mixed blues and golds.

A year ago I was not able to sew small strip sets like this accurately and consistently. I practiced and employed a few new techniques to both measuring/cutting, and sewing - some gleaned from the great people here on the board, others from the Sally Collins book ("Mastering Precision Piecing" which I call "the primer").

I'm just so proud of these strip sets I had to share with folks who would know how to share my joy!!

lfstamper 11-27-2011 05:11 PM

Very nice job!

xsquilter 11-27-2011 05:12 PM

Way to go! You should be proud!
Maureen

quilter711 11-27-2011 05:19 PM

You have done a great job! Accurate cutting and piecing bring quilting to the next level. I am going to look into the book you recommended. I want to be just like you when I grow up :>)

Sneed 11-27-2011 05:20 PM

You have really been working.

DogHouseMom 11-27-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711 (Post 4726910)
I want to be just like you when I grow up :>)

Short and fat?

hee hee .... I got the book and there is also a companion video. I do suggest both. The video is great to see exactly what she's talking about, and the book is great to go back to for the details.

I must confess though that I departed from her technique in one area. After she irons her seams she places them under a ruler then weighs them down to make the seams stay put. I tried this and for the life of me (and I was using two very large, very heavy books) I can't get my seams to behave as well as she does, so I resorted to my old stand-by ... starch. I starch before I cut, and I starch the seams (after I've ironed the seam in place once). They're flat and they stay put.

franc36 11-27-2011 05:30 PM

You did an awesome job! Congratulations!

Pinkiris 11-27-2011 05:31 PM

Are you making a particular project or just working on precision for something in the future? Whichever it is, your work looks fabulous. Please keep us posted!

Nettie Phillips 11-27-2011 05:53 PM

You have done a great job and I know what it is like to have trouble with straight sewing. I mark mine a lot of the
time and then try to follow the lines. Extra time. UGH.

debcavan 11-27-2011 05:56 PM

Yeah, isn't it wonderful to look back and know you have picked up skill and improved. Yes Sally Collins book is great.