Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Inspiration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/inspiration-t39900.html)

sirstitchalot 03-18-2010 08:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This exquisite quilt is my 'Inspiration' and the motivation to complete the work intrusted to me by Grandmother! Although it's only1 of 10 or so projects it is absolutley fantastic to me.

It is obviously a 'scrap quilt' but has amazing and maticilous attention to detail. Notice that both the horizontal and vertical diamonds that border each of the stars form consectutive rings of color as it radiates out from the center.

It's absolutley marvelous!! It truly awes me every time I look at it!! ~ sirstitchalot

Inspiration (full)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15302[/ATTACH]

Inspiration (detail/1)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15303[/ATTACH]

Inspiration (detail/2)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15304[/ATTACH]

butterjoy 03-18-2010 08:45 AM

Wow, that is pretty. I like the fact you used scrappies for this project. I like the solid lines that separate the rows. Cool.

sirstitchalot 03-18-2010 08:49 AM

This is my Grandmothers work _I cn in no way take credit for this one except I sent it to be finished-( it was just the quilt top when I got it!! But Thank You I wish it was my work :) ~ Lee

janRN 03-18-2010 08:59 AM

Holy cow!! That's beautiful. Do you have any idea when it was made? Is it hand sewn? What size are the individual blocks? Sorry for so many questions but it's incredible. I can see why you're inspired by it. Thanks for posting the pic-just love it.

Marjpf 03-18-2010 09:02 AM

WOW!!!!! That is absolutely, amazingly, gorgeous! I'm blown away.

Gramof6 03-18-2010 09:28 AM

Beautiful! I love this type of quilt! Such a labor of love went into making this. Thank You for sharing.

sirstitchalot 03-18-2010 10:15 AM

Questions are fine and I appreciate the interest :-D

It was made sometime before 1965. Thats the year I was born and I can remember grandmothers quilting frame leaning against the wall behind the kitchen door but I never saw it in action. my great-grandmother passed away around that time and I'm not sure whether this is her work, grandmothers work, or a group of church lady friends are even a combination of any or all. It was hidden away in the cedar chest with the others until I inherited them.
Whether it's a bouteonniere, rising star,or texas star pattern pick your pleasure I suppose it fits each of these catagories. The blocks are 3and1/4" hexagons or the indvidual diamonds are 1 and 1/2" long and 3/4" wide at the points.
Hard to say if it was machine stitched or hand sewn with such small pieces I would think by hand- but either way it was done VERY well as some/most hand stiching is pretty easy to spot.
It was finished by a lady with along arm machine who wanted me to have it hand quilted - But at the time it was finished time was an issue- so an ill relative could have use of it during their battle with ALS. Its return home to me was bittersweet to say the least.

Ditter43 03-18-2010 10:24 AM

I can see why you are inspired by this quilt! It is truly amazing! Your Grandmother was a very accomplished quilter! I'm sure you can be too....Good luck!

Ditter

jljack 03-18-2010 02:47 PM

Wonderful story, Lee. You have been entrusted with a family treasure, and you have done right by it!! Love the quilt, and your dedication to caring for it in the best way. Kudos!!

stitchinwitch 03-18-2010 03:19 PM

My my!! Your GM must have had EXCELLENT eyes! - it is very nice!