Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   ISO Ideas for finishing a top that my mom picked up at a yardsale for $25. I think it's Sunbonnet Sue or the like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/iso-ideas-finishing-top-my-mom-picked-up-yardsale-%2425-i-think-its-sunbonnet-sue-like-t122255.html)

CoventryUK 05-11-2011 12:01 AM

That is a really pretty quilt! Someone has put a lot of time and love into it! Sad to think someone had discarded it but happy that you rescued it!!! I agree with others on here to back it with white fabric before sandwiching! Bind in the deeper pink or even the darker maroon! I look forward to see how you finish this it will be lovely!!

GrannieAnnie 05-11-2011 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
My Mom bought this for me sometime either last year or maybe the year before. I had really forgotten that I had it. I hadn't done anything with it because I really wasn't sure what to do with it. Should I add a border? Should I add pink? White? I know that the fabric is very thin but it is really pretty. She left the lil tag on it to prove that she paid $25 for it. I was surprised!

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

I'd try a shade of brown that matches some of the shoes and hats. Brown may be waaaaaaaaaaaay wrong, but I'd lay some out to check.

ckcowl 05-11-2011 01:05 AM

if you want it to be larger adding a border will accomplish that- white or pink would fit in.
as for quilting it- i would just do a stipple in the blocks around the Sue's, and maybe a design in the sashing strips/cornerstones and borders

mimom 05-11-2011 02:49 AM

I love it. I am going to have to make a SB Sue one of these days...You do have 2 pinks you can match up. The light one and the darker one

michelehuston 05-11-2011 03:45 AM

I would just add narrow white border.

sinceresissy 05-11-2011 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Durinda
If you can't match the pale pink, you could go for the darker shade of pink like some of the hats. It is very pretty! :) :)

Me too.

dd 05-11-2011 04:30 AM

Take it to the fabric store and lay it out with different fabrics. You might be surprised at what color actually speaks to you. It may be a small print with different colors in it. Allow them to audition. I'm sure everyone in the fabric store will have an opinion also.lol

emsgranny 05-11-2011 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by dd
Take it to the fabric store and lay it out with different fabrics. You might be surprised at what color actually speaks to you. It may be a small print with different colors in it. Allow them to audition. I'm sure everyone in the fabric store will have an opinion also.lol

I agree!! My first thought was a small calico print with the different shades - would make a great twin size quilt. I also like the idea of backing it with something - you will have to audition the colors for this too so you dont loose the cute hearts in the pink...great findI am soo jealous lol I never find aything like that around here lol

LindaR 05-11-2011 05:12 AM

I would add a pink flower fabric, something with alot of color...

AngieS 05-11-2011 05:17 AM

Thanks you all. :) I was thinking it was really thin and would need something. I haven't ever done any FMQ before....I've been waiting for the class to come up at the shop. Been waiting about a year now. Hope it comes up soon. I have several tops that need to be done. Can't really afford to send them to a LA quilter. Would love to though. The next time I get a chance I'll take it with me into the quilt shop and see what I can find. I appreciate all of your ideas. I love having someone else's take on an item. Makes it easier for when you go to the shop to look for something-at least you have an idea.

I agree I'm sure the ladies in the shop will have some ideas too. ;)