Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Jeweled Medallion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/jeweled-medallion-t321724.html)

dunster 10-26-2023 09:02 AM

Jeweled Medallion

3 Attachment(s)
Making this quilt was not fun. I bought it as a kit from Keepsake. The pattern was available free, but I really loved the fabrics shown in the kit, and the price was very good. It was supposed to be available in a couple months, but it took longer than that to be shipped. I'm very much a planner. I don't trust patterns or kits completely, so I check everything out before going too far. Often I want to use a different method for things like HST's, SIAS or FG than the pattern writer used, and I have to figure out a way to change cutting directions to make that work. So luckily I was semi-prepared when I found numerous errors in the pattern. The worst find was that the amount of background fabric had been underestimated by quite a bit due to a pattern error, and there wasn't enough provided in the kit. I contacted Keepsake and Kaufman. Keepsake responded, quickly, but they basically said "so sorry" but they would notify Kaufman, the provider of the kit, with all the information I gave them. I bought more of the background fabric elsewhere. I never heard anything from Kaufman. The amount provided for some of the other fabrics in the kit was adequate, but skimpy. I think this is the end of buying kits for me, though I never had these problems with kits from Craftsy/Bluprint. Even though I love the fabrics in this kit, I don't feel the ownership/pride that I feel when I pick out my own fabrics, or come up with my own design. (I did change the design just a bit by adding the final border. That ombre fabric was supposed to be used for binding, but I wanted the quilt to be just a bit larger, so I used a bit of the wide back for the border instead.)

I quilted it, free hand and with rulers, on my Innova longarm. The pictures were taken before I hand sewed the binding to the back.

lscho4jm 10-26-2023 09:11 AM

It’s beautiful and I never buy kits anymore for that very reason.

cjsews 10-26-2023 10:01 AM

Oh my. I understand wanting to use their fabrics. It turned out amazing. And the quilting is truly a work of art.

Peckish 10-26-2023 10:12 AM

It's beautiful Dunster, you did a great job. Shame on Kaufman.

Quiltwoman44 10-26-2023 11:16 AM

Dunster to the rescue! You did a wonderful job on completing that quilt. Love the black, sets all other colors off wonderfully.

toverly 10-26-2023 11:22 AM

Beautiful Quilt. I can understand why you would purchase the kit, all those colors. I would have done the same. I have gotten to where I don't trust kits either. I think they are figured out mathematically and not many have extra fabric. The smallest piece, no mistakes can be made. Congratulations on your beautiful finish.

lindaschipper 10-26-2023 12:10 PM

Truely a beautiful quilt. You did a fantastic job on it. Glad you posted about your disappointment with buying kits as I thought perhaps that was the way I should go instead of buying all the numberous smaller pieces of fabric like I do. Seems like I'll never use it all up.

Gannyrosie 10-26-2023 12:25 PM

I've always been tempted to buy kits cause I've heard some say there was extra fabric.glad you were able to find another and get it finished. Beautiful

tallchick 10-26-2023 01:21 PM

Another stunning quilt and your quilting is amazing! I agree about kits! Last year I went through all my kits and checked the fabric in each on to make sure everything was there. Only 1 had issues and it was 2 yards short, thankfully it was a batik so I found a nice substitute in my stash.

materialworld 10-26-2023 02:54 PM

Beautiful quilt!! I understand your frustration when a purchased kit doesn't live up to your expectations. Sometimes companies don't understand what a skimp on materials can do for future purchases by you and others who hear your story. I certainly wouldn't buy from Keepsake after your post. I'm not experienced enough to get beyond the kit mistakes and lack of materials. Your finished quilt is amazing though. You did a fabulous job.