Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   the "jungle quilt" is finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/jungle-quilt-finished-t185738.html)

faykilgore 04-12-2012 03:53 AM

Love the quilting!

nabobw 04-12-2012 04:39 AM

Wonderful quilt

alisonquilts 04-12-2012 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 5134648)
Why in the world don't you like this quilt? It's wonderful! The fabrics are great, especially the focus fabric and the rose backing and your quilt motiff is very creative and well done!

Can I ask where you got the fabrics and did you quilt that on a regular sewing machine?

As often happens, the quilt didn't end up looking like the quilt I pictured in my head - which was much better, of course! Also, because I was working to someone else's chosen color scheme I was outside my "personal taste zone". This is destined for a baby so I went brighter and more contrasty than I would for myself, as well.

This was a stash quilt, so I am not 100% sure where I got the fabrics. I am fairly sure the jungle print with the purple orchids came from Hancock's of Paducah, about four years ago. I just checked there, and did a quick online search, but it isn't popping up anywhere, and of course I don't have a selvedge (I used every last scrap of the yardage I had). The pink backing selvedge says "Fabric Traditions copyright 2010", and I know it was part of a line of fabrics (because I have the blue version, as well). No idea where I got it.

I did quilt this on my regular sewing machine: I drew the picture on with fabric marking chalk first, then just followed the lines FMQ. (I always have to wash my quilts after I am finished because I use such huge amounts of marking chalk!)

Alison

fxsts93kf 04-12-2012 05:58 AM

Gotta say I think it's gorgeous! I love the "jungle" fabric! I'm sure the proud new parents love it too! You did a fantastic job all the way around!

fxsts93kf 04-12-2012 06:05 AM

Did you design the quilt or can you give the name of the pattern if you used one. Thanks!

alisonquilts 04-12-2012 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by fxsts93kf (Post 5135132)
Did you design the quilt or can you give the name of the pattern if you used one. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your kind words!

I designed the quilt myself based on ideas I got from the book "Loose Change" by Claudia Plett and LeAnn Weaver. The picture of the toucan in the rainforest on the back I came up with after looking at multitudes of images online. I was aiming for the instantly recognizable classic tropical rainforest picture! (That way people see the picture even if the execution isn't perfect.)

Alison

RUSewing 04-12-2012 06:52 AM

Stunning quilt. Would love to make a blue one for my grandson. Did you quilt from the front or backside? Thanks :)

alisonquilts 04-12-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing (Post 5135227)
Stunning quilt. Would love to make a blue one for my grandson. Did you quilt from the front or backside? Thanks :)

Thanks! I quilted from the back and used neutral thread on the front so it wouldn't show too much on the pieced side.

feline fanatic 04-12-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts
The picture of the toucan in the rainforest on the back I came up with after looking at multitudes of images online. I was aiming for the instantly recognizable classic tropical rainforest picture! (That way people see the picture even if the execution isn't perfect.)

Alison

I would say you totally nailed it! That toucan is great and instantly makes me think of a rainforest scene. When you quilted it did you have the pink backing facing up so you could see what you were doing? This is so unique I love how you quilted it.

Oops, Should have read all the posts! You answered me in the above response. Great job!

Rose L 04-12-2012 01:44 PM

Oh, very nice!