Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Just finished this set of gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/just-finished-set-gifts-t17587.html)

GailG 03-22-2009 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting. They were supposed to be for a Christmas present for a friend of hers but I ran out of time. So now they are done!! Now to go on to other quilt stuff!

I love that star. Is there a name for the block. I think I can see how the points are made. Kind of like a half square -- only it's cut again diagonally and then attached to the triangle. Right? Am I showing my ignorance here? :oops: :lol:

Rhonda 03-22-2009 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by GailG

I made these for my friend that does my prep work for my quilting. They were supposed to be for a Christmas present for a friend of hers but I ran out of time. So now they are done!! Now to go on to other quilt stuff!

I love that star. Is there a name for the block. I think I can see how the points are made. Kind of like a half square -- only it's cut again diagonally and then attached to the triangle. Right? Am I showing my ignorance here? :oops: :lol:

I don't know how anyone else makes it but the first star is made with my Boston Blocks. See the directions on my www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com
THe other stars are all made with my half square blocks or Boston Blocks.

GailG 03-22-2009 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by GailG

I don't know how anyone else makes it but the first star is made with my Boston Blocks. See the directions on my www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com
THe other stars are all made with my half square blocks or Boston Blocks.

Thanks. Went to "bitsnpieces". Great directions and ideas. When you say to change the size of the template, would we --say, use a 2" template to make the HST block that will be cut diagonally? Then it could be used in the 1 1/2" Boston Block.

Rhonda 03-22-2009 07:57 PM

No you use three swatches to make the Bostons. Directions are on my site. When I say you can change the size of the template I was thinking if I make a hotpad for instance or a Tote bag and I make my hotpads 8 1/2" unfinished but you may want to make a larger quilt block with the same one I used but you would rather make a tote bag instead so make your"Blocks" with a 3" template instead of a 1 1/2" so you end up with a bigger quilt block to use in the tote.

Make sense?

GailG 03-22-2009 08:17 PM

:oops: PHEW! I've got it. Thanks. Some days I'm a little "slower" than others. :lol:

Rhonda 03-22-2009 08:21 PM

Oh this is just a new concept for people. It is hard for some quilters to get past the traditional way of piecing. But I love that it makes the process easy.

GailG 03-22-2009 08:24 PM

I think it's great. Do you have any problems with the grainline?

Rhonda 03-22-2009 08:27 PM

Believe it or not the only thing I ever look at is where I have room to cut a swatch out. I don't pay any attention to grain because when I am done there is usually only an inch or less left to see. The seams are so close together that it never affects my work.

GailG 03-22-2009 10:37 PM

That's good to know. Bias edges scare me.

mynani 05-03-2009 04:08 AM

Rhonda, I have downloaded your e book. Now, my question is about the templates. Do I cut out a triangle the size of the finished block? or a quarter of the size? In other words how do we know what size the template should be? The template is a piece of acrylic right?