Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Kaw Valley Quilters Guild SHow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/kaw-valley-quilters-guild-show-t249399.html)

WisWis 07-04-2014 09:48 AM

What a wonderful selection.

MargeD 07-04-2014 10:46 AM

Thanks for sharing all those beautiful quilts. I'm always ready to see pictures of quilts made by talented quilters.

mojo11 07-04-2014 11:35 AM

Oh my gosh!!!!! What beautiful quilts and soooooo much talent. Thank you so much for sharing these with all of us.

grammysharon 07-05-2014 08:51 AM

Thank you so much for sharing!!! Beautiful quilts!!!

Helen6869 07-05-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by junipergal (Post 6784047)
I can't believe the sun bonnet sue says god hates fags and they let it in the show!!! What a shame on that guild!

I totally agree. Ruined it for me!

abbieb 07-05-2014 09:54 AM

For those commenting on the Sunbonnet Sue quilt, it may help to know that Lawrence being a college town, it is the most liberal and "artsy" place in Kansas. You can get away with much edgier forms of artistic expression there than you could in the rest of the state. If you notice the explanation in the picture, you will see that they were trying to show Bad Sue - as in, basically everyone in the state hates the Westboro Baptist Church and the nonsense they proclaim.

I actually think it's interesting to see the different ideas of "bad" the people who worked on it had. For instance, tattoo artists and "hippie" types might be considered conventionally questionable but are kind of the norm in Lawrence, whereas Fred Phelps, members of the NRA and those who watch Fox news are truly looked down on by the majority in that area. All that being said, the quilt is not my cup of tea either. :)

Annz 07-05-2014 11:06 AM

they were really a delight to see. Thanks

ube quilting 07-05-2014 04:30 PM

A wonderful show. I'm sure that SBS was quite controversial. I couldn't tell if the maker was yea or ney on the subject matter and didn't understand two of them. The subjects were all very current and someday this quilt will make a historical statement.

All the quilts are wonderful. The hawk, dogs, DWR and teal & rose log cabin along with all of them are outstanding. Thanks for the show.
peace

ube quilting 07-05-2014 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by junipergal (Post 6784047)
I can't believe the sun bonnet sue says god hates fags and they let it in the show!!! What a shame on that guild!

As much as I don't agree with the sentiment in the block, freedom of speech out ranks the responsibility that goes with it. I think this is an important quilt and will have historical value as it deals with very current and controversial subjects .

This is an important quilt, imho.
peace

earthwalker 07-05-2014 07:02 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this show for us. Really appreciate it. Great pics, great quilts. Love the diagonal braid and the hexie quilts. Could never pick a winner, they are all so diverse.