Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   "Knife, fork, scissors and fire".... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/knife-fork-scissors-fire-t283126.html)

sewbizgirl 10-19-2016 11:35 PM

How does your daughter feel about this prank? Maybe she should be the one to spank him.

GailG 10-20-2016 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow (Post 7681069)
Oh, no!

I agree I would patch it with red hearts or something "different". It reminds me of kintsugi. Broken can still be made beautiful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560582[/ATTACH]

I love this! I came from an era where things were fixed rather than replaced. My favorite pieces of repaired items are my inherited religious statues that were repaired by grandparents. I love the idea someone gave of using red hearts to mend it. It will add to the history. This post reminds me of my children's turn of "experimenting" with scissors, The girls used their dolls' hair but my son used his own hair. Yikes!

Watson 10-20-2016 04:26 AM

Maybe use something like Steam a Seam to bond some red hearts over the spots, then you can do a button hole stitch around them. If he's old enough, maybe even teach him how to button hole stitch to help you to repair it ?

Things happen...my toddler daughter once got ahold of my Grandmother's cookbook once and "wrote" me recipes in marker on a bunch of the pages, over some old, treasured recipes. 25 years later, I flip through that book and see my daughter's scribbling and treasure it, too!

Watson

rainbowzebra 10-20-2016 05:20 AM

I like the heart idea for mending, think they will look just fine, Oma's can fix things!

nls 10-20-2016 05:43 AM

Pretty quilt, nice border!

Clarice29 10-20-2016 07:48 AM

Really nice quilt. Sorry about the holes.

LeslieSusan 10-20-2016 08:08 AM

After looking at the large photo of where the damages are, I think that the idea of applique is a good one. Appliques that have significance to your family history maybe? That way, by turning a lemon into lemonade you will be in effect gifting them with a whole new quilt and a valuable lesson for grandson.

tessagin 10-20-2016 08:10 AM

Have him help you repair it. He will learn early and quickly the value of it. My son cut into the side of a new ottoman my father purchased. He was not happy. My dad caught my son trying to fix it with tape. My dad just happened to be in a very good mood because he realized he really wasn't happy with the ottoman. It was heavy and had to be moved everytime he wanted to use it. Dad got the glue out and made my son hold the fabric in place (fingers out of the way) til the glue set. It was a quick setting glue but basically Dad had him hold the fabric in place for about 10-15 minutes. He never touched that again. He did take my watch apart though with nail clippers. No fixing that he was about 6-7 then.

tessagin 10-20-2016 08:14 AM

I'll bet he wanted to see if those little scissors just worked on fabric and he found out. Bet it took him awhile just to do that much with those little nippers. He was truly sorry, evidently.

Crqltr 10-20-2016 10:11 AM

I might have said more than your little saying! With a hug after of course! It's a pretty quilt, I bet it really scared him when he saw what he did!