Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Lanie’s pillow & quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/lanie%92s-pillow-quilt-t322363.html)

toogie 01-29-2024 05:51 AM

Lanie’s pillow & quilt

4 Attachment(s)
I decided to make a home state pillow, for our granddaughter, to match her quilt I made a couple years ago. Her birthday is early March. She also lives out of her home state now, so after making my sister’s pillow, I thought this would be a good present for Lanie. I left off the red heart on this one, but I ended up making my own pillow forms. I’ll show it too. Looks and feels just like the bought ones. I also had to piece the back at the bottom bc this was leftovers from her quilt. My sister still makes the long drive so she has plenty room to bring home, but Lanie flies, so I may mail hers. Although, I’m distrustful. A package with gifts from Italy to my sister had 2 gifts out of the package missing! Unbelievable how the thief picked and chose. Then my son-in-law’s mother sent a package and when it arrived to Tennessee it was empty!

toogie 01-29-2024 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I forgot quilt picture and it wouldn’t let me edit and add to the original post. You may remember it tho.

tallchick 01-29-2024 06:29 AM

Beautiful finishes! They are sure to be treasured and loved! Yes, theft is a huge problem overseas! I used to work at a dental alloy company (primarily precious metals) and I worked in their foreign division. When sending to certain countries we would use old school wax and stamp seal to ensure that the original package had not been tampered with. Import/Export is an interesting field, and the theft rate is astounding.

MawMaw B 01-29-2024 07:39 AM

Curious on how you made your pillow forms. Can you discuss this, please?

cjsews 01-29-2024 03:33 PM

That is such a neat idea she will love it

toogie 01-29-2024 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MawMaw B (Post 8634131)
Curious on how you made your pillow forms. Can you discuss this, please?

When I first started quilting I bought some batting at JoAnns on a roll. It was 48inches by 10 yards for maybe $20. (This was about 4 years ago) I found it was kinda stiff, for my taste, for a quilt. It’s poly batting. Anyway, I used it for bags, runners etc. For these pillow forms I cut 2 pieces 19 inch square. I placed them together sewed around all the outer edge with a 1/2 inch seam allowance, leaving about a hand width opening so I could turn and stuff. One side of this batting was softer than the other I thought so I used the coarser side as my ‘right’ side. Because my cover was going to be quilted, I thought the coarser side out would keep the insert stable as I stuffed it with poly filling, like you use in stuffed animals. I then sewed my stuffing hole up on the machine.
Hope this was helpful to you-Toogie

paddingtonbear 01-31-2024 09:21 AM

Great idea for the pillow. The quilt is wonderful.

ibex94 01-31-2024 10:38 AM

Perfect Louisiana quilt and pillow! Lucky Lanie!