Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   LAST UPDATE: Black, White, Red Quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/last-update-black-white-red-quilt-t223261.html)

mythreesuns 06-08-2013 09:39 AM

LAST UPDATE: Black, White, Red Quilt...

1 Attachment(s)
I will start out with a little history first, so the rest of the story fits. The guy holding the pillow is a young guy we took into our home and became a part of our family for life. He did not have a great home life at all with his mom, and she had kicked him out when he had just turned 16. So we took him in to our home, as one of our own. He was soooooo very close to his grandma, (closer to her then his own mother) but she lived almost 3 hours from us. So they talked several times a week and she would drive over to see him every couple of weeks. He did not want to leave our area to go live with her, because he had two younger sisters he wanted to stay close with. He also had no idea who his dad was... so he had a very rough childhood. His grandma made that pillow for him to give to me as a thank you for taking her grandson in... no gifts were needed...(she passed away 6 years ago) BUT... grandma and I also made a pack, she would like the pillow to go back to him upon my death.. or when I felt it was time. So I placed the quilt I made for them in a box and on the top of that quilt...I placed that pillow..along with a note what his grandma wanted. So the guy holding the pillow is the groom, the woman holding the quilt is the bride, the two guys holding the quilt up are my oldest two sons. The look on the guys face is me explaining in detail what his grandma and I had talked about and him trying to not sob uncontrolable, while his wife is crying.. by the time I was done explaining, there was not a dry eye in the house. His uncle, who he is very close to, said he knew Jeremy and our family were close, but never realized how close until that weekend...those tears were both sad/happy tears.. then sad to say...the sad tears took over full force on Monday morning when his new brides sister found her hubby dead in bed next to her at 5 am...

owlvamp 06-08-2013 09:50 AM

Wow what a story and happy you took him in. Beautiful quilt and sad also for what has happened. You are right sad and happy tears. A very over wheeling week.

lfstamper 06-08-2013 09:54 AM

Beautiful quilt and very touching story. Your generosity is amazing. Sad for the death news too.

maryb119 06-08-2013 09:56 AM

Family is not built on blood alone...it comes from the heart. You and your family are wonderful people to make this young man and his bride welcome in your family love. What a great gift you gave him!

J Carol 06-08-2013 11:33 AM

Your story is both happy and sad but I am sure he knows you are his angel here on earth and grandma in heaven ~ he is so very lucky to have you and his family to care for him. God Bless You. Oh yes the quilt is beautiful too.

dunster 06-08-2013 02:17 PM

Such a sad/happy/sad story. That quilt and pillow obviously mean a lot to that young couple.

Angel Bear 06-08-2013 02:31 PM

What a wonderful time to give him the pillow his grandma made. It's a wedding gift from her by way of you. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful and it's great that they appreciated it so much.

QuiltnNan 06-08-2013 03:35 PM

great quilt

dcquilter 06-08-2013 03:37 PM

Wow, incredibly special.

Maggie_Sue 06-08-2013 03:52 PM

Wonderful story and sad too!! Pass the Kleenex please!