Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   last year's BOM quilt finally finished, thank goodness (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/last-years-bom-quilt-finally-finished-thank-goodness-t24578.html)

dunster 08-24-2009 07:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last year I participated in a BOM from a LQS. Each participant paid $25, and received a Debby Kratovil Block-a-Day calendar. Then each month the LQS owner picked out a block from the calendar and provided BARELY ENOUGH fabric to make that block. We also had to make the same block from fabric in our stash. Then we would bring in both blocks to show the LQS owner, give her the block from our stash, and take home the other block and the fabric and block selection for the next month. At the end of the year everyone who had completed all 12 blocks got a set of another 12 blocks made from the fabric in other people's stash, so we wound up with 2 sets - one made from the coordinating fabrics selected by the LQS owner, and another that wasn't quite so coordinated (though they tried). (I haven't decided what to do with that not-so-coordinated group yet, but donating them to science is a possibility.)

I purchased a panel that was in the same fabric line as some of the fabrics provided by the LQS owner. Never again, because I don't really enjoy using a whole panel, and it was not possible to cut this one into pieces without destroying parts of the design. I put off assembling this quilt, but I finally decided on a setting (which required making 12 more blocks). Then I backed it and started quilting it in 3 sections, before realizing that I had completely forgotten to make the border. By then I had made the backing out of fabric that I originally wanted in the border, so I wound up making a checkerboard border out of fabrics that were still left, and the backing had to be pieced too. I have not been a happy camper while working on this, but at least it is done. And I am planning the next quilt, which will be something more of my choosing.

bearpaw 08-24-2009 07:44 AM

Great choice on the checkerboard boarder! It really matches the quilt. How cute are those two cats!! Love the quilt - great colors!

sewnsewer2 08-24-2009 07:49 AM

Great job! I love the cats in the middle too.

NorBanaquilts 08-24-2009 08:01 AM

I like it!

RedGarnet222 08-24-2009 08:20 AM

I enjoy your setting of the blocks. It is hard to make them all mesh when there ar so many blocks that are all different. Very nice job adding the pa
nel too. Was that part of the pattern from the qult shop?

dunster 08-24-2009 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I enjoy your setting of the blocks. It is hard to make them all mesh when there ar so many blocks that are all different. Very nice job adding the pa
nel too. Was that part of the pattern from the qult shop?

Thank you. The quilt shop very conveniently had the panel for sale, and showed it made up with these blocks, so a lot of us bought it, but it was not required. They also provided a setting pattern for purchase, but I wanted to make my own setting. Yes, it is hard to make them all mesh. I've seen some of the quilts made by the other BOM participants, and I was particularly impressed by one that did an on-point setting, and used the panel. I think hers will be in our quilt show in October, and I want to get a picture.

SuzzyQ 08-24-2009 08:56 AM

Can you show us the other set of blocks please? Maybe we can help ...

Mamaskeeto 08-24-2009 08:59 AM

You did an excellent job. The quilt is lovely.

carrieg 08-24-2009 09:13 AM

For all your hard work, it sure turned out to be a great quilt! I like how the panel is offset amongst the blocks. I have that panel too! It's waiting patiently for me. LOL

Knot Sew 08-24-2009 09:13 AM

Came out really good...you get an A+ :wink: