Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Latest quilt, for a friend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/latest-quilt-friend-t66846.html)

woody1229 09-26-2010 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine just had a birthday, and is going through a tough time - her parents are ailing badly and she has twin 12-year old sons with autism. Seemed like she needed a quilt for her birthday. I wanted it to reflect her Mexican heritage, so I chose bold prints from Alexander Henry (splurged on the good stuff). I completed it in five days, a first for me, and I also noticed how much easier the FMQ is coming.

The only disappointment is that her response to my gift was very underwhelming, it seemed like she barely looked at it when she opened it at her party, and she never said a word to me about it. I'm feeling kind of deflated, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this for friends. Does anybody else have experience with that depressing feeling, that our efforts didn't have the impact we had hoped?

hobo2000 09-26-2010 08:30 AM

It is a very exciting quilt that shows much thought and creativity. You did an excellent job too bad it may have been wasted on her. But you have the inner satisfaction which is more important than her making a big fuss over it at her party. Let a few days pass and see if she comments on the gift. If she doesn't then you know she was not "Quilt Worthy". Write it off and be more careful who you bestow your talents upon. Hugs...Its really good.

Up North 09-26-2010 08:32 AM

Yes it has happened to me. A special quilt for a special (I thought ) friend but an oh ok, was all I really got.

And by the way I really like your quilt, it looks like a lot of work!

Sadiemae 09-26-2010 08:37 AM

I love the bright colors you used. I wonder if she is just so overhwelmed right now that she will need down time to really appreciate your thoughtfulness. I am not trying to make excuses for her, just wondering...

sall 09-26-2010 08:38 AM

Your quilt is lovely. I would think it would cheer anyone up who is feeling down to have such a bright and cheerful quilt to wrap themselves up in.

SharonD 09-26-2010 08:52 AM

I love your quilt. It is so bright and cheery. Perhaps your friend has other things on her mind just now, and hasn't realised how thoughtful and loving you have been. You have given her something special, and that's what friends are for. :)

mrspete 09-26-2010 08:57 AM

Great color. I love it.

Blessings, Ruth

Quiltforme 09-26-2010 08:59 AM

It could have been overwhelming (if she has been going through a tough time getting something so beautiful may have been too much) give her some time she may send a thank you note or even call you personally to thank you. Sometimes quilts are such personal gifts of love the reciever does not know how to respond to receiving it. You did a beautiful job. Jade

Ditter43 09-26-2010 09:08 AM

My DH and I both think your quilt is wonderful. I think she may have been overwhelmed with all that is going on in her life and didn't know how to respond. Give her some time. Don't give up on making quilts for friends, most will be very appreciative! :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

LindaBN 09-26-2010 09:21 AM

A friend made me a king size quilt about 20 years ago. I'm not a very demonstrative person, but I know I thanked her a lot when she gave it to me. My point in writing is to say that it has been on our bed almost continually and I think of her often and of her kindness to me during a rough spot in life. She and her family drifted out of our lives about 5 years later, but I will never forget her kindness and how loved I felt.
Don't let one underwhelmed friend stop you for loving on others!
Also, fellow quilters may be more likely to give us the "praise we crave" then those who do not quilt... so keep posting pics!!