Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Layout HELP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/layout-help-t201444.html)

LLWinston44 09-24-2012 05:17 PM

Well, kind of what I was doing was red, pink, cream, yellow (though not always in that order) but I was trying to not have any of the same colors touch, though they annoyingly had to touch corners. Lol. I have less red than any other. I can totally go get the red for first border though! When you guys are saying you like the first one, do you mean the first one I posted here, or the first layout tried, which was the third picture I posted. Lol

katier825 09-24-2012 05:18 PM

I like the idea of using the darker blocks nearer to the center. I would also add a darker inner border and binding. It's pretty!

LLWinston44 09-24-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond (Post 5539016)
Did you see that the lower right block in the first photo is turned the wrong way?
My eye "sees" 15 darker blocks, do you have enough fabric to make 3 more? Then all the darks could be in the diagonals you have going in that first photo layout.

Haha, youre right it is turned wrong! Lol thanks! Yes, I actually do have. Ore of all te colors. I accidentally bought two layer cakes and this quilt is one. So I have all of the otner one I can borrow from...

earthwalker 09-24-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by fatquarters (Post 5538915)
I like your first one better, and I like your boarder fabric but it lacks the POP. Do you have a dard red that you could frame with a narrow boarder BEFORE the light boarder?

My thoughts exactly, narrow red followed by your border fabric, then maybe bind in red.

QM 09-24-2012 05:38 PM

I like your jewel box. I also like the border you showed, but I think you would do better to use one of the darker colors as well, dark then light. Try it out and see what you think.

alfosa421 09-24-2012 05:39 PM

I like the diagonal line of darks every other row that you started-try that and see if you like it. You would need to fill in the middle diagonal with 2 darks and one in the third diagonal.Good luck in your difficult decision I'm sure it will be beautiful no matter what

Jingle 09-24-2012 05:45 PM

I will be different, I like the second layout best and I agree it needs a dark red border. I do like the red scattered around.

QuiltnNan 09-24-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 (Post 5538890)
Here is it as a 6x10 (vs the 7x10) but it ended up being too repetitive in color. Idk.....

i like this one

LLWinston44 09-24-2012 06:13 PM

Revised layout

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I saw that I was off with the 7 blocks x 10 blocks as it was a difference of 3, and the majority are a difference of 2. (The comment about adding a row made me look at that.) so instead I took out the bottom row, making it 7 blocks x 9 blocks. Also added the reds to complete the red 'lines'. Is this better? Better to have the reds in a row rather than sporadically laid out? It does seem easier to look at this way, but I did like the randomness of the red also.

GingerK 09-24-2012 06:36 PM

Well, I have to say that I think you still need to add a row in width from the picture in the post just above mine. The pattern is uneven and feels unfinished. You have lovely white diamond cut-outs that remind me of paper snowflakes, but then they end in 'X's' on the right hand side. I would say, make the center 8 x8--that would give a balanced pattern left to right and top to bottom.

I agree that a deep red narrow inner border would look lovely and really make the white pop.