Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   LBB (Little Brown Bird) #17 is the block with the LBB. And, it's done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/lbb-little-brown-bird-17-block-lbb-its-done-t272412.html)

nanna-up-north 11-19-2015 07:14 AM

LBB (Little Brown Bird) #17 is the block with the LBB. And, it's done

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't been on for awhile.... been busy. Moving from the summer place to the winter place takes time and I don't get as much stitching done. But this is the block with the little brown bird on it. There are more of them on the borders and I have started those. This is another of the blocks for the Little Brown Bird quilt by Margaret Docherty. The book is out of print but available from eBay and sometimes Amazon.

I fell in love with it a long time ago and it is an undertaking. But several people are currently working on it and we do communicate. If you're thinking of starting it, PM me and I'll direct you as best I can to some helpful hints others have passed on to me.

And now my question, I did do some shading on the flower but was wondering, do you think I should shade the bird's belly some? I'm not sure what a brown bird is supposed to look like. It looks most like a wren to me. Let me know what you think. The belly does look a little flat I think.

Thanks for looking. My other blocks are in my album if you'd like to see more. Have a great day.

PaperPrincess 11-19-2015 07:24 AM

I've been following your progress and am just blown away by your skills. Since there is detailing in almost all the other applique on the block, I would add a bit of shading to the bird. Might be a pine siskin. They have almost a striped tummy.

susie-susie-susie 11-19-2015 07:28 AM

Beautiful block. Shading would look nice. What do you use for shading?
Sue

nanna-up-north 11-19-2015 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie (Post 7380999)
Beautiful block. Shading would look nice. What do you use for shading?
Sue

I use inktense pencils and then liquid fabric medium to smooth it out. It's one of those tips the other LBB ladies taught me.

You're in Howell?? That's not so far from me.

nanna-up-north 11-19-2015 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7380993)
I've been following your progress and am just blown away by your skills. Since there is detailing in almost all the other applique on the block, I would add a bit of shading to the bird. Might be a pine siskin. They have almost a striped tummy.

Thanks, PP. I'll have to google a pine sisken.

Where in Michigan are you located? Just curious. We Michigander's like to know.

QuiltnNan 11-19-2015 07:45 AM

Beautiful !

QM 11-19-2015 08:26 AM

As with the others, I really enjoyed seeing this block

Grandma Bonnie 11-19-2015 08:33 AM

Beautiful block! I would shade a bit. Have loved all your blocks in this series - you do wonderful work!

thimblebug6000 11-19-2015 08:38 AM

Love your block and think a little shading would be perfect to round out his belly.

QUILTNMO 11-19-2015 08:43 AM

another beautiful block great job!!!