Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Learning new things ...kinda proud here! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/learning-new-things-kinda-proud-here-t132763.html)

CAJAMK 06-24-2011 05:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I admit I am not the "craftiest" person around. Being an accountant I guess I think in a different way...I can't look at fabric (or whatever) and come up with some brilliant artsy idea. But quilting is an obession! Well, I mostly just quilt with the Quilts for Kids program or do easy things.
All of a sudden yesterday I got an idea for a wall hanging for my sewing room. I felt I wanted to try machine applique & circles. So I got out my Accuquilt circle die (never used), cut bright colored circles from my scraps and then using a glue stick I applied them to a black 24" square piece of fabric. Then using a blanket stitch on my machine I went around the circles. Yes, they are kind of screwy but not bad for a first attempt. A few things learned...
1. Fuse don't glue stick for machine applique
2. When machine applique on circles lift the presser foot alot
3. Don't be too hard on yourself and just go with the flow. It's the fun of learning that counts, not perfection!!

Unless it is going into a quilt show a friend always says to me ...."it's good enough for government work"
Any thoughts?

Opal Jane 06-24-2011 05:42 AM

We want to see pictures!

Sadiemae 06-24-2011 05:43 AM

Congratulations on your new endeavor!

CAJAMK 06-24-2011 05:43 AM

Pics will be coming later. I am actually going to do some beading on this. Then I have to put on the border & quilt it...

lheartsl 06-24-2011 05:46 AM

where is the picture??\
I am going to try an appl. for the first time aslo... Going to pick out fabrics today!

kwhite 06-24-2011 05:49 AM

yes your lessons learned are correct. If you want to raise your presser foot less often while doing circles then loosen the presser foot pressure. It will make moving the fabric under it easier and you may be able to master the pivot method where you simply hold the fabric in the middle and the circle will just track around in a perfect circle. if you ever plan on cutting these circles into 4 wedges for a drunkards path type look you can actually tape a flat top thumb tack upside down on the deck of your machine and place the center of the circle on the tack and it will act as the pivot. you barely have to touch the fabric. This works great if you plan on cutting them because it does leave a tack hole in the center. Please post photos.

CAJAMK 06-24-2011 05:51 AM

never mind i just attached the pic. now. this is going to be called "Ideas" as each circle is going to be an idea. I am going to use bright yellow varigated thread for the quilting coming back down to the head. the head really was supposed to be a 5" circle but i cut it wrong. so now it just is my head. beading is going on still as well as a border.

Kat Sews 06-24-2011 05:52 AM

Cool idea. I especially like the little guy at the bottom.

CAJAMK 06-24-2011 05:53 AM

I am just recovering from knee surgery and I am bored to death. All these ideas are floating around ....many of them now are involving applique!

amma 06-24-2011 05:55 AM

I can't wait to see all of the added beadwork!
Good job of stepping out of your comfort zone :D:D:D