Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Log Cabin with a solid color (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/log-cabin-solid-color-t18503.html)

Alabama-Quilter 04-03-2009 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a "Log Cabin" I made with a print and solid, I thought it turned out pretty nice.
Jill.

pittsburgpam 04-03-2009 09:12 AM

Thanks for the picture, that is what I was thinking of. It's beautiful! The solid color on the light really makes the star stand out.

RedGarnet222 04-03-2009 09:17 AM

Hi pam,
I like the idea a lot. It gives your eye some rest in between the color. It is nice to have that eq program to give you a hand. I am thinking if I keep quilting and doing my own designs, I will check into one for myself.

Can you scan in the fabric and use it to design with? Or do you have to find it online?

roseville rose 04-04-2009 09:24 AM

Love the fabric Pam! How many jelly rolls do you think it will take to make a twin size quilt like you are planning? I never know how many to buy--2 or 3?

k3n 04-04-2009 09:31 AM

I think it will look great Pam! And I love those fabrics! I'm glad you're making something for YOU! :D

K x

PS I've looked at jelly rolls too for a log cabin but haven't got round to ordering any YET! :wink: I was talking to a lady at quilt group about it and she said she'd had to trim off the pinked edges to get her seam allowance. I wondered what you do about that?

pittsburgpam 04-04-2009 10:46 AM

The one I made recently used 2 jelly rolls plus 6 FQs of just the lights of that collection. I originally purchased 3 jelly rolls and I used a few of the third, mainly the lights, because there just wasn't enough of those.

I think when I do it the next time, if I was going to use all patterned, I would get one jelly roll of all lights and one of all darks, and one mixed if possible.

This is why I want to get two jelly rolls of the patterned and one of white. The Nature's Chorus has several fabrics have a lot of white background so it might be OK to mix them in with the all white. If it doesn't look right I'll get another all white (maybe just get it anyway since I can use leftovers with most anything).

I didn't cut off the pinked edges. I measured and from tip to tip of the pinked edge is 2 1/2". Line the pinked edge up with the 1/4" foot. It didn't matter that much to me because I squared them all up anyway. It makes a large log cabin block with the 2 1/2" strips and it only took 36 of them for the quilt.

k_jupiter 04-04-2009 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by roseville rose
Love the fabric Pam! How many jelly rolls do you think it will take to make a twin size quilt like you are planning? I never know how many to buy--2 or 3?

Get Burn's book on "Log Cabin Quilt in a day" if you are going to be using the 2 1/2 Jelly rolls. She has all the details about how much fabric to buy for just about any size quilt. And some nifty pointers on how to crank them out fast.

tim in san jose

pittsburgpam 04-04-2009 11:02 AM

I used the technique I read at Big Horn Quilts. It went very fast and it could probably be done in a day. Just keep feeding them through with the strips.

Most of these patterns use 2 1/2 strips.

http://www.bighornquilts.com/inspira...ashbuster.html

pittsburgpam 04-04-2009 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Hi pam,
I like the idea a lot. It gives your eye some rest in between the color. It is nice to have that eq program to give you a hand. I am thinking if I keep quilting and doing my own designs, I will check into one for myself.

Can you scan in the fabric and use it to design with? Or do you have to find it online?

I don't use a quilt program. I just use MS Paint and draw it. I get the actual fabric by having it on my screen from a web site showing it and doing a copy and paste.

Probably very inefficient but I'm pretty quick at it now. :wink: I do want to try EQ6 sometime. I have EQ4 but I don't like using it. It is very non-intuitive to me and not because I am not comfortable with computers. I've worked on computers for 20 years, from ordering and setup PCs and laptops to large mainframe systems. I just don't like how EQ4 works and navigates.

Justquilting 04-04-2009 11:10 AM

Only having 2 clors makes the star pop!! love it!