Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Longarm quilting quilt for shop owner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/longarm-quilting-quilt-shop-owner-t254011.html)

Tartan 09-19-2014 07:43 AM

Gorgeous! You are very talented with your long arm. Should you retire and quilt professionally? You might want to talk to some of the professionals on QB before taking that step. Both Charisma and Harriet are 2 that do great work for others. You can also check out Angela Walters new site for quilting businesses. Her main site is www.quiltingismytherapy.com but she has a blog as well as the other new business site.

Dclutter64 09-19-2014 07:46 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. I actually took a class from Angela at the Road to California Quilt Show. She was a lot of fun. I wonder sometimes if quilting for hire would take the fun out of quilting. I will have to network with some of the other longarm quilters. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6895295)
Gorgeous! You are very talented with your long arm. Should you retire and quilt professionally? You might want to talk to some of the professionals on QB before taking that step. Both Charisma and Harriet are 2 that do great work for others. You can also check out Angela Walters new site for quilting businesses. Her main site is www.quiltingismytherapy.com but she has a blog as well as the other new business site.

feline fanatic 09-19-2014 09:05 AM

Beautiful. I whole heartedly agree on practicing on paper. I do see Angela Walters influence in some of your background fills too! Angela would love it.

I too find it hard to find time to quilt and quilting for others definitely takes away from your own quilting time. Glad the owner like it, but sad she showed no enthusiasm for all your hard work. I too would be let down. I am happiest when I know the person I quilted for loved it.

maryb119 09-19-2014 09:10 AM

You did an amazing job on the quilting! You should quit you day job.

luvstoquilt301 09-19-2014 09:17 AM

I have several pro quilters in my guild. Yours is just as good if not better than theirs. Did you feel nervous when quilting this? I have done a few and for very close friends who are not at all picky. I get anxious and worry about it. But I have a lousy HQ16 original set o 2 tables without a stitch regulator. I quilt totally free from the front of the machine as I do not like pantos.

Yes---I am thinking this lady might feel very awkward and a bit tongue tied about you. My ex married the woman he cheated with and she is still nervous around me. I can talk to her just fine as I am glad I am not longer married to a cheater...she is now.

watson's mom 09-19-2014 09:28 AM

The quilt on it's own is stunning but combined with the quilting you did , it is breathtaking. Sandrab64 is right ...you can retire now and have a full time job as an expert quilter.

brod71 09-19-2014 09:35 AM

Beautiful quilt and stunning quilting!

Dclutter64 09-19-2014 10:27 AM

I didn't feel nervous quilting it but I worried over it quite a bit. I ripped a lot too! I have never quilted from the back but I have a pro stitcher on my machine when I choose to use it. Sometimes it is just easier to do it free hand. I haven't been back to her shop yet. It has been about 3 weeks. I might go this weekend. She is suppose to give me a credit for the quilting.
Yeah it is a little weird when I go to her shop and hear her talk about her husband but oh well. I like her and him and I are friends. We still have to see each other for work sometimes. He is a contractor for the company I work for so we have to do business together sometimes.

I think it is just a way for life to through you into funny situations!

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 (Post 6895393)
I have several pro quilters in my guild. Yours is just as good if not better than theirs. Did you feel nervous when quilting this? I have done a few and for very close friends who are not at all picky. I get anxious and worry about it. But I have a lousy HQ16 original set o 2 tables without a stitch regulator. I quilt totally free from the front of the machine as I do not like pantos.

Yes---I am thinking this lady might feel very awkward and a bit tongue tied about you. My ex married the woman he cheated with and she is still nervous around me. I can talk to her just fine as I am glad I am not longer married to a cheater...she is now.

lynnie 09-19-2014 11:54 AM

you did a fabulous job. stunning quilt

Lori S 09-19-2014 01:00 PM

I can't imagine the quilter not just gushing immediately over the spectacular quilting. GIVE HER THE BILL. Your time and talent are worth being paid. I also can't imagine taking this with out insisting on paying. I find it incredible that she owns a shop and did not give you free fabric . large gift certificate ... some major way of showing she valued your work.
It would be one thing if you did this for the publicity in hope of building a professional business, but that was not your intent. Don't be bashful.. give her a bill.