Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Look at the great gift that I brought back from Cuba!!!!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/look-great-gift-i-brought-back-cuba-t46446.html)

Lockeb 05-19-2010 03:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
I just got back from Varadero, Cuba on Sunday morning - had a wonderful 2 weeks vacation - but I just had to share this great gift...
A friend, Romalia, gave me this when she came to visit at a friends home in Mantanzas City, Cuba 2 weeks ago...and I am thrilled...she made this quilt with MIL about 15 years ago - it's made with recycled fabrics...backed with Genuine Cuban Sugar Sacks....
Materials are not that plentiful in Cuba so you use what you have or what you can find.....
The quilt needs some repairs but I have to decide do I leave it as is or do I repair it..
It is such a special gift - and I love it - I will share some photos to show you all......
The photos were taken on the terrace at the home of friends in Mantanzas City.....
Enjoy!
Let me know what you would do - leave as is or repair!!!!!
Thanks!
Bill

I look a bit unready for this photo :-) Romalia is explaining to me the story of her quilt!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70255[/ATTACH]

Isn't she adorable - she has such a bubbly personality - a wonderful person - a wonderful friend!!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70256[/ATTACH]

The quilt is made with strips of various recycled fabrics - ruffled around the blocks....I LOVE IT!!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70257[/ATTACH]

Some of the pieces still have the Cuban Sugar Brand on the backing fabric!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70258[/ATTACH]

Marjpf 05-19-2010 03:24 PM

What an incredible gift. You are so lucky to have been given it. You can see the love that went into making it. I would leave it as it is without the repairs, but make a label telling the story of how you got it.

JudyG 05-19-2010 03:26 PM

Fabulous gift. How lucky you are to receive such a beautiful quilt. I am sure you will treasure it always.

sharon b 05-19-2010 03:39 PM

WOW :mrgreen: What a neat story , wonderful friend and great pics :thumbup:

I don't know what I would do with them , to repair or not , sorry

mrsdralshhadeh 05-19-2010 03:39 PM

such a wonderful find!!! and so pretty!!!

ctack2 05-19-2010 03:45 PM

I would make the repairs so it could be used as it was meant to be. I'm sure your friend wouldn't take insult that you wanted to use it. IMHO
Carol B

CAROLJ 05-19-2010 03:49 PM

Make the repairs that way you can use it, and it will also stay off additional damage.

It's a beautiful quilt, I like the way they did the ruffles.

Lockeb 05-19-2010 03:49 PM

Acually, she thinks that I am going to repair it anyways......she really wanted me to have it and I was so thrilled....
My goal this visit was to try to find something that was quilted or some kind of patchwork - but I didn't dream to come back with something like this.....it really was the highlight of my vacation - and there were many.....I had a wonderful time!!!!!!!
I can't post a video here but I do have a video on my FB page of a friend, Amarilis, who is from Mantanzas City, Cuba who is a textile artist...if you have facebook, look me up and take a look at her video of her at work...it is amazing...I have 2 shirts that she made - I need to take photos of these - WOW!!!!!
There's a lot of talent in Cuba as well :-).....

zkosh 05-19-2010 03:50 PM

How beautiful! I would repair it and enjoy it. :thumbup:

wvdek 05-19-2010 03:51 PM

What a grand experience.