Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Look at my estate sale bargains! Kinda long (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/look-my-estate-sale-bargains-kinda-long-t24752.html)

amazon 08-28-2009 11:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The lady was a Home Ec. teacher for almost thirty yrs. she passed away after a three month battle w/cancer, so sad. I battled w/myself whether to go or not, but she would have wanted quilters to have her stuff, none of the children were interested in any of it. I had never seen her room , but had heard about it, when I walked into the room,my knees almost went out from under me,Quilter Heaven came to mind, machines :quilting and embroidery, sewing tables , cabinets loaded with containers and baskets, built in bookshelf full of quilting books. It looked like your LQS instead of someone home. I didn't know where to begin, so I hit the material first, there where twenty something bins full of sorted by color material, I wanted them all, but just got 5,purple,yellow,white, green and brown(most of them had at least 5yd,some like the brown had more.The containers are 10.96 at walmart!And the white folding sewing table in the corner.The one that got away! A Janome 6500 xp and a Grace quilting system w/stylus and stitch control, 1600$they paid about 2250 for it, was desperatley trying to reach DH on cell when a lady wallked in w/cash in hand, what could I do. Oh well I'm happy with the rest that I got for 90$. Sniff, sniff. I called store where machine was bought, it would be 2500 out the door if I wanted it. I wanted way more but budget didn't allow. wail!I figure I could have spent 2 to 3 thousand and still would not have gotton all I wanted.Sorry so long just had to get it out.

katier825 08-28-2009 11:57 AM

While it is sad that a fellow quilter has passed, I think most would be pleased that the things they left behind were put to good use, and not dumped in a landfill somewhere. Looks like you got a great deal. I'd love that table myself.

amma 08-28-2009 12:42 PM

What a great deal for you!!! I am sure that this quilter was looking down and smiling watching other quilters enjoying her stash and machines :wink: anticipating what they may create with it all :D :D

Esqmommy 08-28-2009 01:42 PM

So glad her stuff went to a person who appreciates it. Too bad the kids didn't share the love - those would be special fabrics to make really sentimental quilts with...

Anned 08-28-2009 01:59 PM

Wow! Didn't her family know or ask where it could be donated?

My sewing buddy passed away and her children were not interested in her sewing/quilting item either. I told them that I would help them with an estate or yard sale but no, the estate person didn't want to be bothered with "all the small stuff." So--I took it all in the name of the sewing guild. We packed it and packed it; it went in three different garages until we could sort it out. Then it went to our AQS community relations person to distribute to local schools with sewing programs. I sold the thread at a guild meeting, then stabilizers and interfacing. Now we have a buttons night to do. The money all goes to the guild Nothing, and I mean nothing, was sold
The estate set the prices on her sewing machines and I bought her Bernina 440, a lovely cutting table and a cabinet. Later I bought her purple sewing chair for $15.00 I guess no wanted purple but now I have reminders, especially the purple chair, of my sewing friend.
Later another AQG member passed away and the family asked her sewing friend what to do with it. She took it all in the name of the guild.
We sent thank you letters and tax donation receipts.
Community Relations makes charity quilts, pillowcases, etc, so everything goes to a needed home. : :

Jim's Gem 08-28-2009 02:01 PM

That's a great find for you. It's nice to know that most of her stuff went to a quilter!

Mousie 08-28-2009 02:05 PM

you did alright for yourself! I agree, this lady would have been very pleased to know that her things, went to those that would continue to love them.
I can only imagine, how much the other lady got. I'd sure love that table too :P

tlrnhi 08-28-2009 05:24 PM

WOW! you did good!

sandpat 08-28-2009 05:48 PM

Oh...sorry for the loss of a fellow quilter, but that is some haul! I'm sure the quilter is smiling and watching to see what you make with it!

sharon b 08-28-2009 05:50 PM

She is smiling down and waiting to see what everone is going to do with her stuff :lol:

Enjoy :mrgreen: