Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Major Fabric Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/major-fabric-organization-t148198.html)

bettyboop32953 08-27-2011 04:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have begun the biggest project ever. I am attempting to tame the stash and become more productive. My sewing room is small and functions as guest room, sewing room, yarn storage, and scrapbook/cardmaking studio. I have spent hours reviewing other craft rooms and decided to bite the bullet and attack my fabric storage.

I am using Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Saver System. She is so prolific and attributes this to being uber organized. I have begun to sort, iron, and fold my fabric. Smaller pieces are being slashed into strips, strings and squares of commonly used sizes.

I have taken a pledge to only use fabric in my stash. Have any of you undertaken this endeavor? How successful are you? I feel like this is a lifetime project to get everything sorted, cut and organized.

scrap saver bins--already full
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247308[/ATTACH]

ironing and folding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247309[/ATTACH]

working on greens
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247310[/ATTACH]

Kuusistoquilter 08-27-2011 04:56 AM

Looks great. I need to try to tame the stash. Every time I tryt o organize, I start on a new project and it gets all messed up again. Hopefully by finishing a few UFO's I can get organized soon.

sparkys_mom 08-27-2011 05:06 AM

I don't have a huge stash but I've been reading everyone's tips on organization and have started pressing my scraps and cutting them into strips. 2 1/2". 2", and 1 1/2". The rest, so far, are going back into the scrap bin but I figure it is a start. The next step is to figure out what to do with the "less than a FQ" - that sort of thing - but I'll worry about that later.

craftiladi 08-27-2011 05:09 AM

Good for you. I for one need to be organized {sometimes that gene is a curse } Personally I love that feeling after I have reorganized. I have been on a No Buy all summer and its really been easier then I thought.
You are doing a great job!

Chicca 08-27-2011 05:40 AM

Yes, I am doing a complete organization process in my sewing room. It seems like I have been working on it for so long. But the wonderful results are so worth the effort. Instead of strips, I chose to cut all "scraps" into squares. Like you, I was inspired by all of the wonderful sewing room pictures, organization tips and ideas on the board and from Bonnie Hunter. As soon as I finish on the board, I am going to start cutting my light blue fabric scraps.....Thanks for sharing; it is encouraging to know someone else is doing this.

SewExtremeSeams 08-27-2011 05:49 AM

Yup, I am in the same boat... needing to get it under control. Will you be posting your progress updates? Hope so, that is always encouraging. :-D

Karen's Kreations 08-27-2011 05:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did the same as BettyBoop. My sewing room is also multipurpose and it was out of control. I had a HUGE container of scraps - I've been cutting them into usable pieces - do some every day & the pile is dwindling. I wrapped the bigger pieces around comic book boards and put them on shelves I got from IKEA. Still a lot of organizing to do but I'm making progress. I'm going to try & post a picture or two.

suezquilts 08-27-2011 06:52 AM

I did the same this spring, but with 2 granddaughters living here I should take the after pics!

I'm cleaning it up again!

bettyboop32953 08-27-2011 10:23 AM

I was brave and took pictures of my mess...As it gets better, I will post more pics. I would love for those of you to post with your progress. I can tell already that my scrap saver system needs different storage containers. I am going to try and get everything cut and sorted before I buy more containers.

skydiver70 08-27-2011 10:29 AM

Looking good! When you get through there, please come to Tennessee and do mine. LOL