Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Material for Twisted Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/material-twisted-bargello-t144758.html)

DogHouseMom 08-13-2011 04:59 AM

Sort by color first then value within each color. It is just as important to have color flow as it is to have value flow.

My avatar is an example of a monotone bargello - I only had to sort for value. YOURS is primarily a color flow - don't lose it.

Blues - move the 2nd from left to the 3rd from right position.

Greens - not too sure about the color value of the two on the far left - they seem to be blueish green and will be out of place color-wise if moved to proper position value-wise. Do you have other greens you can work with?

Orange/Yellow - the 2nd & 3rd from left are very close in color and value. You might want to replace one of them with a lighter or darker value. Unless of course YOU see more difference to them than the photo shows.

Looking at it again ... is the blue 2nd from left the same fabric as the green 2nd from left??

Still looking ..... :)

The "green" on the far left can be moved to the blues. But the 2nd green still looks out of place to me.

verna2197 08-13-2011 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Blues - move the 2nd from left to the 3rd from right position.

Greens - not too sure about the color value of the two on the far left - they seem to be blueish green and will out of place color-wise if moved to proper position value-wise. Do you have other greens you can work with?

Orange/Yellow - the 2nd & 3rd from left are very close in color and value. You might want to replace one of them with a lighter or darker value.

Moved the blue like you said-much better. The greens I don't have any other greens by this designer. She has discontinued this line and I have had a heck of atime trying to find this material. I was originally going to do it just in blues & greens, but could not find anymore. It is M'Liss Blenders TOT. I just hate it cause she discontinued this line, I really like this material.

Orange & Yellows, yes they are almost the same but when looking at them in person you can tell a difference.

I have been all over Tn and even Indianapolis looking for this material to no avail.

verna2197 08-13-2011 05:13 AM

Looking at it again ... is the blue 2nd from left the same fabric as the green 2nd from left??

Still looking ..... :)

no the green one is more of a teal Maybe? But not the same color. I really appreciate everyones help. Please keep looking and give me advice I am taking it very well and doing as everyone suggests.

DogHouseMom 08-13-2011 05:17 AM

[quote=verna2197]

Orange & Yellows, yes they are almost the same but when looking at them in person you can tell a difference.

Thought as much when I had a second look at the top photo I saw a bit more distinction.

DogHouseMom 08-13-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by verna2197
Moved the blue like you said-much better. The greens I don't have any other greens by this designer. She has discontinued this line and I have had a heck of atime trying to find this material. I was originally going to do it just in blues & greens, but could not find anymore. It is M'Liss Blenders TOT. I just hate it cause she discontinued this line, I really like this material.

Do you have to stick to this designer? Will another tonal or solid work? Remember, these are going to be fairly small pieces.

Also ... I know the patten indicates x number of each color, but you can fill out the total number of colors with other colors. you don't need exactly 7 greens - you have 5 greens and add a blue and a yellow to complete the total.

For example - the light green on the far left can be moved to the BLUES on the far right - or 2nd from right (would have to see them together).

Then if you could find another fabric in any of the colors you can remove the teal and complete your set. How about a white on white added to the yellows?

bjrusty 08-13-2011 05:21 AM

First, I like your colors. I suggest putting the darkest to the lightest in each color group then take another picture. Good luck, you will love making bargellos. Barb

Lori S 08-13-2011 05:25 AM

Are we talking about Chris Timms pattern "Twisted Bargello"?
I have done that pattern and with in the Bargello "run" of fabrics it has more than one gradation from light to dark , this gives it the extra depth and enhances to feel of movement . So ... establish on the pattern the darkest and lightest numbers and then do the gradations on each side of the dark placements , but keep the darkest and the lightest fabrics on the pattern in the same place on your color layout. I found it very helpful to put the order number on the darkest and lightest so when I started moving fabrics around I knew when I had inadvertantly moved one of the key fabrics ( darkest and lightest) out of its position.
It is a fabulous pattern you are going to love the results.

bjrusty 08-13-2011 05:40 AM

First, I like your colors. I suggest putting the darkest to the lightest in each color group then take another picture. Good luck, you will love making bargellos. Barb

MDMPanther 08-13-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Are we talking about Chris Timms pattern "Twisted Bargello"?
I have done that pattern and with in the Bargello "run" of fabrics it has more than one gradation from light to dark , this gives it the extra depth and enhances to feel of movement . So ... establish on the pattern the darkest and lightest numbers and then do the gradations on each side of the dark placements , but keep the darkest and the lightest fabrics on the pattern in the same place on your color layout. I found it very helpful to put the order number on the darkest and lightest so when I started moving fabrics around I knew when I had inadvertantly moved one of the key fabrics ( darkest and lightest) out of its position.
It is a fabulous pattern you are going to love the results.

I agree with Lori if we are talking about the same pattern!! My avatar is the Twisted Bargello by CT and I used the teal for a pop of color. Once you make your first one you will come up with all kinds of ideas as to what you can do with it colorwise. I changed my colors around so much then finally got to the point of just having to dive in and LOVED the result. I would also suggest using the search tool above and put in "Twisted Bargello." You will see some stunners using the same pattern, but very different fabric choices.

verna2197 08-14-2011 05:31 AM

Hi everyone, sorry I wasn't here yesterday to read the post and put out replys. My DH had this weekend off, first time off in almost 2 months. Since he will be leaving next Sunday for Charleston SC we are trying to do as much now as we can b4 he leaves.

Anyway the book that I am using is the Twist-and-Turn Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright.

I will reposition the material and get pictures up as soon as I can, so I can get everyone's opinion again.