Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Memory Quilt for my Husband (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/memory-quilt-my-husband-t76531.html)

Lori L 11-15-2010 11:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My husband's mother, Marlene, passed away in Febuary of this year and I spent 2 weeks providing hospice care for her in my in-laws home. During that time, I was just learning how to quilt and she and I would spend hours looking through quilting books for blocks for me to practice making. We found a book of 501 traditional quilting blocks and we put together a list of blocks which had names that either reminded her of a special time in her life or of someone she loved. We had so much fun with this that soon all the family was involved and chosing a block that reminded them of Marlene. I decided I would put all these blocks together into a memory quilt for my husband for xmas. We own a log cabin 4 miles deep into the middle of the Maine woods and it was one of Marlene's favorite places to visit. All the fabric is from a layer cake of Moda, the June Taylor Classic collection and has a campy, wildlife theme which my husband will love and will fit perfectly with the decor at our log cabin paradise. Making these blocks has been a very bittersweet project. I've smiled, laughed and cried while sewing and throughout the process have remembered the very special lady who raised my wonderful husband. Sorry for such a long explanation but I hope everyone enjoys looking!

Just needs to have another border added to the top/bottom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126850[/ATTACH]

This block was made to represent our cabin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126851[/ATTACH]

Frog in a puddle (because she like the name), The Crossroads (name of the restaurant she owned for 50yrs) and The Wheel of Fortune, her favorite show
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126854[/ATTACH]

my quilting buddy, Rosie!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126941[/ATTACH]

PegD 11-15-2010 11:42 AM

Very nice. It brought tears to my eyes. You did a wonderful tribute.

Murphy 11-15-2010 11:42 AM

This is a beautiful quilt. Your story was precious and carries great meaning for all of us. You were a true blessing to her as well. Great job and I am sure you husband will cherish this.

Quiltforme 11-15-2010 11:46 AM

What a wonderful quilt and what a precious time you spent with your MIL your husband is going to cherish this quilt!

fabrichore 11-15-2010 11:49 AM

that is a beautiful quilt and a beautiful story, it brought tears to my eyes as well...your husband is going to love it...

gramabiese 11-15-2010 11:52 AM

Such a beautiful tribute to your MIL. I feel the same about mine. She is a treat to be around and has taught me so many things over the last 36 yrs. But I have to admit, I was the one that got her interested in Quilting and she is hooked for sure. Thanks for sharing your story, makes the quilt even more priceless.

belmer 11-15-2010 12:00 PM

Beautiful!

Ditter43 11-15-2010 12:04 PM

I loved your little intro to your precious quilt! I think it is a wonderful tribute to her and you. You must have been close. It's great that you were able to spend quality time with here when you did. It was a special time you won't forget.
Great job on the qulit!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Gatormom3 11-15-2010 12:07 PM

What a wonderful story! Just think of the joy you brought to your mother-in-law! How fortunate she was to have a daughter-in-law such as you :-) Your husband will cherish the quilt for so many reasons.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-15-2010 12:17 PM

Lori, thanks for the story accompanying the quilt. It really made my heart soar. Your husband is going to cherish that quilt forever. What a wonderful thing you did. And Rosie is too cute!! :D
PS. I was so moved I forgot to mention the border- it's awesome!!