Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   MiawMC's first Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/miawmcs-first-quilt-t8989.html)

MiawMC 07-12-2008 11:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I did this quilt over the long Christmas weekend this past December. It was for my co-worker's little boy and just for fun for me to learn. He carries it everywhere with him and has a special hanger in his room for it so he can watch it while he plays.

The ties are done with yarn and I used a high loft batting. Obviously, I'm a beginner and you old timers are probably laughing your heads off. I learned though :D I won't try that again. It took my fingers a week to feel normal again! Yarn again, maybe, but never with high loft batting and tight cotton fabric.

I also learned how laying it out first might have made it look a little less color heavy in spots.

mgshaw 07-12-2008 11:08 AM

Wow colorful!!!!! You did good!!! Cute story about the little boy.. Every quilt, now matter how long you have been quilting. is a learning process. Keep up the good work!

Marcia 07-12-2008 11:27 AM

Really cute quilt. I like the random pattern that you got from not laying the fabric out first. I think the story about your coworker's son was really cute. He obviously loves the quilt you made for him.

When I tie a quilt I use DMC floss (all 6 strands) instead of yarn. You can use a smaller needle and it does not hurt your fingers as much. I learn something with every single quilt I make and I make AT LEAST one mistake on every quilt too-I have just learned to bite my tongue and not point the errors out to everyone (which I really want to do because to me they are so obvious and I guess I want people to know I am aware of my goof!! :lol: )

Keep up the good work and enjoy the process as well as the your finished product!!

PS-no one is laughing their heads off

Celeste 07-12-2008 12:05 PM

No, not laughing heads off - chuckling with fond memories. Of course, I have tons more mistakes to look forward too. . .

Cute quilt. That was sweet of you to make it for him!

beachlady 07-12-2008 12:35 PM

So bright and colorful for the little boy. No wonder he loves it.

FancyFoot 07-12-2008 12:49 PM

I love it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: It looks so soft & cuddly

Bevanger 07-12-2008 12:55 PM

I like it. I think you did a good job. I never tried yarn to tie. I use Embroidery floss. I sure like all the colors.....YOU DID GOOD

barnbum 07-12-2008 01:08 PM

The puffier the more cuddly I say! The brighter it is--the less likely he is to lose it.

It's perfect. :D

Knot Sew 07-12-2008 01:09 PM

very nice, you did a great job :D :D

DA Mayer 07-12-2008 02:25 PM

I could never get my puffy quilts puffy, I love yours, and yess you will learn something new every quilt you make. Just file everything and try something new. I love clumped colors, I think it adds interest.