Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Miniature Scrappy Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/miniature-scrappy-quilt-t198342.html)

blondeslave 08-22-2012 07:30 AM

Wow! I thought working with 2" squares was a challenge.

BrendaK 08-22-2012 07:33 AM

Holey Moley woman. How are your eyes doing? This is great. I have a lot of patience but I think that this project would break it. As Dayken said, " The patience of Job". You are very creative. Keep up the good work if you can still see. BrendaK

crafty pat 08-22-2012 07:53 AM

That is so pretty, you did such an amazing job. I keep all my little scraps but I don't think I could ever do that.

QuiltnNan 08-22-2012 08:03 AM

what a fantastic job!!!! they should not be shaking their head at you

Red Girls Mom 08-22-2012 08:06 AM

1 inch blocks are one thing, but half-square triangles? Wow! This is really beautiful. I'll bet all those smirking, giggling people who thought you were crazy to take their scraps are singing a different tune NOW! We are such a "throw-away" society, it's wonderful to see what can be made from our "trash". Good Job! I certainly love the pattern you chose. I'm marking this page so I can return and look at it again and again. JUST BEAUTIFUL!

stitcherlady 08-22-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Red Girls Mom (Post 5459247)
1 inch blocks are one thing, but half-square triangles? Wow! This is really beautiful. I'll bet all those smirking, giggling people who thought you were crazy to take their scraps are singing a different tune NOW! We are such a "throw-away" society, it's wonderful to see what can be made from our "trash". Good Job! I certainly love the pattern you chose. I'm marking this page so I can return and look at it again and again. JUST BEAUTIFUL!

No, they still think I'm crazy. They love the quilt, but they tell me they would never do it. I know a couple of people are going to try one though. It is really not much different than a big quilt, you just get to the end of your seam much faster. I gave a close up shot to show that I used anything and everything as far as fabric in the quilt. To me that's the whole idea of scrappy. Another thing I did as a suggestion, is if a fabric was a little too bright for where I wanted to use it, I used the back side of the fabric.

Thanks everyone for all you nice comments.

stitcherlady 08-22-2012 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5459125)
Well done! I love it, the colors, the pattern ... most of all the size. I ADORE small blocks - the smallest I've done was 1/4" finished squares - and I will freely admit my seams don't match anywhere near as close as yours. I did quilt it - it wasn't "easy" but it did indeed quilt (FMQ on a domestic machine).

Suggestion for the border would be a 1/2" colorful border (a print with many "dark" colors), then a wide print with soft colors, then bind with the same print as your narrow border.

Another possible suggestion is ... find a repeating border print with lots of bright/dark colors that can be mitered easily. Use a WIDE (4" perhaps) border - mitred so the repeats match at each corner. Then just bind. I adore mitered/matched borders as much as I do small pieces.

I would love to see your miniature! Wow, 1/4" finished squares...can't even imagine.

I thought I was going to make it a borderless quilt, just was trying to decide whether to quilt it or not and how to frame it. I will give your idea some thought though. Thanks.

stitcherlady 08-22-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5459242)
what a fantastic job!!!! they should not be shaking their head at you

Believe me, they may think I'm crazy, but in a loving way. I have a great bunch of quilting buddies. Some of them even save there scraps for me....how cool is that! Another thing, I often said I would be able to part with my yardage before my scraps - that's how addicted I am to scrap quilts right now. I think I love them because it's like having a quilt shop in a quilt!!!!

stitcherlady 08-22-2012 08:16 AM

One more thing about 1/2 square triangles. I find regardless of what size I'm making, I always make them a little bigger and them cut them to size, that way you end up with the perfect 1/2 square triangle.

Kitsie 08-22-2012 08:34 AM

Nice work!! Its so colorful!