Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Mission 31 take 2 continued (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mission-31-take-2-continued-t317108.html)

fatsewcat 12-21-2021 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by eibed (Post 8526252)
Awesome!!! How did you attach your hexies on the yellow-golden quilt? Thanks!

Hi! The bee quilt was process, let me tell ya. HEAVY but will wash out and lighten up. I am actually wanting to wash this quilt before I gift it on Saturday but I don't know if I will have time but I am going to try. It is for my SIL so if I don't get to it, she will. As for the hexies, I cut them out, added a stabilizer to the back of them, using Elmer's washable glue, I folded the edges down to the back side, them glued them down to a piece of fabric, then stitched them down really close to the edges. To get my spacing somewhat (these worker bees weren't perfect) equal around all of the hexies, I made a hollow template our of a piece of cardstock with a half inch edge than placed the hexie in the center of the template to get my placement before gluing them to background fabric. The stabilizer and glue made this quilt stiff, heavy and a little more difficult to maneuver through the sewing machine to sew the hexies in place but there was no way I was sewing that many hexies on by hand. They are roughly a 7-71/2" hexie and this quilt measure around 72" x 76". I enjoyed making it but it needs washed to soften it up. It did quilt better than I expected with it being so stiff though, so that was a plus.

petthefabric 12-21-2021 09:33 AM

More eye candy. Why did you choose these projects? Was it a challenge? Or an organized program? Or are you the self-motivated type and chose them yourself. They're wonderful.

fatsewcat 12-22-2021 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8526341)
More eye candy. Why did you choose these projects? Was it a challenge? Or an organized program? Or are you the self-motivated type and chose them yourself. They're wonderful.

I chose these projects because I wanted to make quilts for all the members in my husbands family. I use QuiltPro to design and play with the colors in the quilts I make. I can spend just as many hours coming up with what I want to do as I spend actually making the quilts. It is a self-induced challenge I put on myself to keep myself busy from watching tv. I would rather be creating and keeping my hands busy before sitting in front of the tv for hours on end. Doing as many quilts at once like I did making these, I spend numerous hours making specific notes of the cutting plans and having templates ready, if needed, and boxes (clear large paper scrapbooking type boxes) that I organize all my cut pieces in until I am ready to sew them together. On more than one occasion while making these quilts, I would spend a day or two just cutting out multiple quilts at once and getting them laid out in sewing order so everything as 'ready to go' when it came time to sit down at the machine. Design ideas come from either my quilt program or online. I have found several on Pinterest but when it comes down to recreating the pattern for the size of quilt block or over quilt size I want, I sometimes find myself modifying the original layout somehow. Not trying to make it better, just different. I always think I have a favorite but usually don't because I seem to find something I love about everyone I make. I find things I don't like about them as well but overall I am generally pretty happy with how they all turn out. Its definitely a process but I love it.

Jingle 12-23-2021 02:22 PM

These last quilts turned out beautifully as the other five. Great job.