Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   more recycling - this time jeans (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/more-recycling-time-jeans-t27975.html)

Newby0709 10-31-2009 12:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
What an education, I didn't know that I needed to make larger seams when working with denim. Every project is a teacher. Guess I should have taken some classes instead of the road of hard knocks. I couldn't throw these away.

feline fanatic 10-31-2009 01:09 PM

Wow! Your log cabin denim quilt is without a doubt the nicest denim quilt I have ever seen! I didn't know about the bigger seam allowance with denim either. Have never tried my hand at one but have been saving jeans to make a rag quilt, way down on the "some day" list.

judy_68 10-31-2009 01:18 PM

I love this quilt. I have tons of jeans saved to make one myself.
Judy in Ohio

Yarn or Fabric 10-31-2009 02:02 PM

I have never seen a denim quilt that looked so nice! Awesome!!! Okay. I need a new word. A friend I know says that all the time and now I'm saying it. but yeah, Awesome!!!

barnbum 10-31-2009 02:12 PM

Cool!! That log cabin is amazing!! I've been cutting jeans up (found a pair of jeans and shorts I can wear! :D ) so would appreciate any advice you have in working with denim. I'm going to keep it simple and make a ragged one, I think. Flannel on the other side, but no batting, right?

Actually, I'm thinking of sewing all the odd squares and rectangles together to make large squares--then back them with flannel and quilt--then sew them together and rag the seams?? Will that work? :?: :?: :?:

joeyoz 10-31-2009 02:25 PM

They look awesome. :D :D :D

oksewglad 10-31-2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Cool!! That log cabin is amazing!! I've been cutting jeans up (found a pair of jeans and shorts I can wear! :D ) so would appreciate any advice you have in working with denim. I'm going to keep it simple and make a ragged one, I think. Flannel on the other side, but no batting, right?

Actually, I'm thinking of sewing all the odd squares and rectangles together to make large squares--then back them with flannel and quilt--then sew them together and rag the seams?? Will that work? :?: :?: :?:

It should work--actually Georgia Bonesteel did it in one of her LapQuilting books-she used navy and red bandanas as backing instead. Go for it :D

oksewglad 10-31-2009 02:39 PM

Newby 0709--The log cabin looks great. I've learned to use my serger for the denim seams. Serger helps compress the seam allowance plus prevent raveling. Like the rag quilt too!

Newby0709 10-31-2009 04:05 PM

I didn't use any batting on the ragged quilt, in fact, I used a cotton fabric. It is really heavy so I didn't want any more weight. I don't see why you couldn't sew various shapes together. I used the pockets and various pieces in the center of the blocks so I could remember the kid that wore the jeans. I have pieces with stains and very worn pieces too. That quilt represents several foster kids, as well as our own two, who have with us.

PineyRiverQuilter 10-31-2009 04:20 PM

Wow! Maybe I'll get that box of jean legs out of the closet. That's what I wanted to make.