Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Mr. "I don't know anything about quilting" designed his own quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mr-%22i-dont-know-anything-about-quilting%22-designed-his-own-quilt-t135331.html)

Selena 07-05-2011 06:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was supposed to make my first quilt for DH as a thank you for insisting I buy my LA. I ended up making it for his cousin's wife who had terminal cancer. So this my second. I planned to do an elaborate design for a beginner but when I showed it to him he said he didn't want any of that frilly stuff. I asked "what frilly stuff?" and he said "those triangles and squares." Then he proceeded to describe a panel with borders around it and just straight lines for the quilting. Since the panels are in a square I had to adapt the design to make a rectangle as it is for his bunk on his semi. I thought crosshatching would be great until I attempted it. There are so many mistakes. Thank you to the person on a previous post who puts rubber cement on her ruler. You saved my sanity. When in the middle, he informs me that he just wanted horizontal lines across it. How boring is that? These pictures are as it came off the LA. I still have some ripping out to do. I will post a finished picture with the matching pillow cases when I finish. I'm not proud of this, my second quilt but accept it as a learning tool. DH loves it though.

Deer In The Meadow quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221196[/ATTACH]

quilting on panel-I only have white thread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221197[/ATTACH]

quilting on panel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221198[/ATTACH]

LeslieFrost 07-05-2011 06:26 AM

Looks great from here! If he likes it, that is good enough for the cause!

taiboo 07-05-2011 06:29 AM

OMG, i have the exact same fabric and my dh has been wanting me to do something with it...last night he started messing with it and the layout is sooo similar to yours it gives me goosebumps LOL....he wants to start sewing it tonight LOL

Originally Posted by Selena
I was supposed to make my first quilt for DH as a thank you for insisting I buy my LA. I ended up making it for his cousin's wife who had terminal cancer. So this my second. I planned to do an elaborate design for a beginner but when I showed it to him he said he didn't want any of that frilly stuff. I asked "what frilly stuff?" and he said "those triangles and squares." Then he proceeded to describe a panel with borders around it and just straight lines for the quilting. Since the panels are in a square I had to adapt the design to make a rectangle as it is for his bunk on his semi. I thought crosshatching would be great until I attempted it. There are so many mistakes. Thank you to the person on a previous post who puts rubber cement on her ruler. You saved my sanity. When in the middle, he informs me that he just wanted horizontal lines across it. How boring is that? These pictures are as it came off the LA. I still have some ripping out to do. I will post a finished picture with the matching pillow cases when I finish. I'm not proud of this, my second quilt but accept it as a learning tool. DH loves it though.

erstan947 07-05-2011 06:31 AM

After living in a semi for 12 years....this quilt is perfect. I found the light and white is hopeless there. This is a very manly quilt and you have done a great job!

moonwork42029 07-05-2011 06:34 AM

I think it looks great! Glad he was interested in what you were doing and about he LA

debcavan 07-05-2011 06:36 AM

The quilt is gorgeous. Good for him. He got what he would enjoy.

For a new longarmer you are going a little fast. Get use to handling that big baby, just doing simpler things and then get fancy. Get your muscles trained in. The fancy will turn out better with a little experience on your machine.

Selena 07-05-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by debcavan
The quilt is gorgeous. Good for him. He got what he would enjoy.

For a new longarmer you are going a little fast. Get use to handling that big baby, just doing simpler things and then get fancy. Get your muscles trained in. The fancy will turn out better with a little experience on your machine.

This is the second quilt I pieced but the 7th I've quilted. I try to do a different technique on each one to learn. I admit that this one was over my head, lesson learned.

Sweeterthanwine 07-05-2011 06:39 AM

Very nice looking quilt. Great job and if hubby likes it that is all that matters.

RenaB 07-05-2011 06:43 AM

I like it and I agree, if he likes it, that is all that matters! Well done!!

Selena 07-05-2011 06:51 AM

Now you know kind of how yours will look and what you might want to change. I like the fabric myself.

Originally Posted by taiboo
OMG, i have the exact same fabric and my dh has been wanting me to do something with it...last night he started messing with it and the layout is sooo similar to yours it gives me goosebumps LOL....he wants to start sewing it tonight LOL

Originally Posted by Selena