Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My "new" 1920's Damascus Grand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-%22new%22-1920s-damascus-grand-t18672.html)

nellie 04-08-2009 11:49 AM

try google.com and see if you can find it by brand of your sewing machine hope this helps you

mcdaniel023 04-08-2009 03:05 PM

My father-in-law made friends with a couple who owned the small neighborhood store. The lost their ownly child, a son in WW2. We the retired and needed help he took care of them. They left him their belongings. He kept a few "momentos". A beautiful rocker and the sewing machine were his favorites. I admired both since the day I married his son 35 yrs. ago. He made sure that everyone knew I was to get them. I will treasure them always. I was told that Alice, the original owner was a great quilter. I just wish I could have seen one of her quilts.

Bevanger 04-08-2009 04:52 PM

What a beaut

amma 04-08-2009 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
My father-in-law made friends with a couple who owned the small neighborhood store. The lost their ownly child, a son in WW2. We the retired and needed help he took care of them. They left him their belongings. He kept a few "momentos". A beautiful rocker and the sewing machine were his favorites. I admired both since the day I married his son 35 yrs. ago. He made sure that everyone knew I was to get them. I will treasure them always. I was told that Alice, the original owner was a great quilter. I just wish I could have seen one of her quilts.

What a beautiful machine :D :D :D It is awesome that your father-in-law remembered you. It would be nice if you wrote down this story and tucked it in the machine so the story passes down to future generations along with the machine :D

Marcia 04-08-2009 06:30 PM

What a wonderful treasure you have inherited. And how special that you know her history too.

Will you name her "Alice" after her original owner?

hpylady 04-11-2009 07:35 PM

Remakable story, how proud you must be. Beautiful cabinet and nice machine. What a treasure!

hpylady 04-11-2009 07:40 PM

Remakable story, how proud you must be. Beautiful cabinet and nice machine. What a treasure!

nana2 04-12-2009 09:55 AM

This is a great treasure!!! The attachment on the left front of the box looks like the attachment that was my grandmothers. She still had the instructions for using it and I have found that it works on my Elna, Paff, and White low shank machines. I have made some "perfect pleats" with it. Several months ago (and it was a re-run at the time) Simply Quilts featured a lady who had an extensive collection of these old machines. She did a demo with several of them and spoke about how she had gotten them cleaned up and useable. While visiting my daughter in Alaska, I learned that there are areas where there is no electric power and the women in these areas are using these old machines to quilt.

hpylady 04-12-2009 05:59 PM

nana2.....hold on to that machine, when the electricity goes out, at least you can still sew in daylight. That is wonderful. I love old things, they have so much memory. :)

sewhappy57 04-13-2009 12:55 AM

Shes a beauty! Congratulation! :D