Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 1st Attempt at Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-1st-attempt-paper-piecing-t4360.html)

sandpat 02-03-2008 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok..I did it! And its fun! I love it, but decided that I need to get a lighter weight paper. Anyway...I did have some trouble sewing the 4 blocks together and matching. Of course, its not pressed either.

Should I have taken the paper off BEFORE I sewed the 4 blocks together? It seems like it would have been easier for me to match up, but it may just be operator error...not being used to working with the paper. ??????

1st attempt paper piecing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1449[/ATTACH]

Moonpi 02-03-2008 04:47 PM

Ya done good!

patricej 02-03-2008 05:11 PM

yes ... you should have taken the paper off first. however ... and i mean this sincerely ...

i like the way the two halves don't match exactly. that may not have been the plan, but it gives it life and motion. as though the star was pulsing or twinkling ... or something "notsittingtheredoingnothing"-ish.

:P

i buy pads of kids' drawing paper. the kind that's grayish-tan and thin like blank newsprint. kinda pricey at $2.47 for 40 sheets, but it tears away nicely and costs less than vellum or tracing paper.

i also have an ancient case of 15lb pinfeed computer paper. i think they still sell it. a case costs a lot, but lasts for years and years and years. AND as a bonus, the older it gets, the more easily it tears away. :P

Chele 02-03-2008 06:51 PM

Wow! :shock: You tackled a hard one for your first PP project. Nice job! It turned out beautifully! Just look at those points. Your fabrics are gorgeous too. Make more!

barnbum 02-03-2008 07:13 PM

I didn't notice anything wasn't lined up--I love it just like that. :D You make it look easy--you ole star maker you. :wink:

Minda 02-03-2008 07:53 PM

I also like the way your star seems to twinkle. You did good. :D :D

annmarie 02-03-2008 08:29 PM

I can't believe that's the first time you've done paperpiecing! It's GREAT You are an inspiration for all those scaredy cats out there! I'm so glad you tried it.

zyxquilts 02-04-2008 07:44 AM

Looks good to me! If you hadn't said, I wouldn't have noticed the teeny tiny bit that doesn't quite line up. :wink:
I've switched to sandwich wrap paper for my paper piecing - it's thin & very easy to tear off. To make your pattern pieces, you staple one of your copies to a stack of the thin stuff, and "sew" on all the lines with no thread. Then you just need to write the numbers on them.
I don't tear off my paper completely until I have the borders on, but you can just tear off the 1/4" strip on the edge before you sew 2 sections together. That way you still have the lines to match up. Just do what makes sense & is easiest for you. :D

sandpat 02-04-2008 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone! I think that since there are NO quilt police at my house...I'll take it apart and play with it some more. I'm gonna try a different type of block too. Its lots of fun! Thanks for the advice. :D

barnbum 02-04-2008 08:36 AM

Take it apart?? :( But...but...but...it's so pretty. I thought you'd make a line of 4 and let them twinkle happily in your house. I love it.