Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 1st T-shirt Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-1st-t-shirt-quilt-t204417.html)

QuiltingByCourtney 10-27-2012 05:11 PM

My 1st T-shirt Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372904[/ATTACH]
-This is my 1st t-shirt quilt, there is actually one more row added on to it but I had taken this picture earlier. It is a queen size. The backing will be black(per my friends desire) with a Warm & Natural batting. I intend to put it on my 10' frame with my janome 1600 sewing machine.

-I want to do a meandering pattern since I am not the best free hand person for doing crazy designs haha..Each t-shirt has interfacing behind it. The checkered material is a tish thinner then I wanted but could not find checkered material with big squares like this...So I am thinking I should do a tighter meandering pattern to make sure this all stays together well since its for a teenage boy who I have no idea how hard he is on bedding haha...

-This quilt is really heavy since its soo big and there are 36 t-shirts total all squares measuring 14.5" x 17.5" Since its my 1st one ever is there anything I should be aware of before I put this on my frame and start meandering?

-I bought white (machine quilting thread for the top) and black(machine quilting thread for the backing) I do realize I have to get my tension perfect before I can start going...or should I use different colors of thread? I wanted the backing to blend together so thats why I chose black on black.
-Also will I be ok to meander right through my logos or should I buy a really strong needle?

Tartan 10-27-2012 06:20 PM

Your T-shirt quilt looks great! I love the check fabric!

bstock 10-27-2012 06:33 PM

Love your quilt. I also love the checked fabric.

Prism99 10-27-2012 06:47 PM

I would use any leftover t-shirt fabric to make a practice piece first -- as similar to the quilt as possible with interfaced t-shirt fabric, same batting, black backing. I would want to make sure that I could FMQ and not have white thread dots showing through on the back and/or black dots on the front. Getting a balanced stitch can be done, especially with a batting as thick as WnN, but when you FMQ the balance of the stitching changes back and forth as you sew. Also you want to make sure that your needle can handle the thicknesses.

nls 10-27-2012 06:48 PM

The quilt is great--check fabric if perfect!

cowgirlquilter 10-27-2012 07:13 PM

Wow these are all great questions. I will be watching this thread for responses. The quilt looks awesome so far.

BETTY62 10-27-2012 07:21 PM

Love your quilt. The black and white fabric is a really nice touch.

Moonglow 10-27-2012 07:23 PM

Nice work. It looks fantastic.

gsbuffalo 10-28-2012 03:15 AM

love it and I to am making my first t shirt quilt, well helping daughter that has no sewing skills at all, and I am thinking about qayg method. will be excited to see how you complete this. love the checks

Blinkokr 10-28-2012 03:52 AM

Great quilt and thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen