Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 2 hour quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-2-hour-quilt-t148164.html)

QM 08-26-2011 10:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few years back I was asked to prepare an exhibit for begining quilters. I made examples of fairly simple quilts, kits of basic paper piecing, then got the idea to do this quilt as you go project. My first one took 2 1/2 hours, while I was also teaching paper piecing and explaining the quilint process to a large number of quilt show attendees, many of them small children. It has always been a hit, so I have made several of the quilt-as-you-go project, although I usually don't repeat designs.

The idea is simple. Lay out your backing and batting. Prepare your center piece. I usually use a piece 18"x27-36. I fold it both ways and cut off all 4 corners. The triciest part is getting it exactly centered on the batting. I pin it. Sometimes, but not always, I quilt the center before I go on.

I take strips of fabric, and work around the edges of the center, sewing them on. My strips are anywhere from 1 1/2" to 3". They are sometimes random scraps. I finger press each one open, then cross it and continue around the center. The tricky looking intersections are merely cut parallel to the other fabrics.

At some point, I have covered the batting , except for the corners. Now I use the pieces I cut off esarlier. In this quilt, I added edges to the triangles before I sewed them on, then top stitched the corners. Now it is ready to bind.

My backing is flannel. The batting I prefer is Thermore, because it is very warm and does not tend to slide against my fabric. It will go to a destitute mother or a small child in out of home placement.

Fish Fun, waiting for the binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247257[/ATTACH]

center section pin basted on batting/backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247258[/ATTACH]

Trimming an already sewn strip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247259[/ATTACH]

QM 08-26-2011 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes I stop sewing a strip 1/4" from the end, then fold back the batting and slide in a cutting board (my 6"er hasn't shown up from out move) so I can use my rotary cutter. More often, I use scissors.In either case, be careful to follow the fabric edge. More often, I attach the NEXT strip, then go back and cut the last one to length. You can do the same thing with a rectangle, but it is not as interesting, IMHO.

I see that pix 3 and 4 are reversed. When I don't want to finger press, I use a paper hanger's edge roller. It makes a great "iron".

Pressing the seam before adding the next strip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247260[/ATTACH]

coloradosky 08-26-2011 10:24 PM

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I have bookmarked this for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

QM 08-26-2011 10:29 PM

Thank you Coloradosky.

Try this pattern. You will find it is remarkably easy for a small quilt. It gets awkward if you go to twin size, but it's perfect for that fabric you don't really want to cut up and/or when you just found out you're going to a baby shower in a day or 2.

Diane on Summit 08-26-2011 10:52 PM

How fun! Great idea for charity quilts! Thanks for sharing your method.

QM 08-26-2011 10:57 PM

Thanks. BTW, the original was the only time I have used spray basting. It worked quite well. Even though I did the spraying out of doors, I had a major asthma attack.

craftybear 08-26-2011 10:58 PM

beautiful

harrold48 08-27-2011 12:41 AM

Great idea and I will be trying it out on the next baby quilt
Thank you

alikat110 08-27-2011 01:01 AM

Thank you! I can't wait to teach sarah and mady this!!!!

plmsmith 08-27-2011 01:39 AM

Great idea and tut