Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 2nd Craft Show, Nov 10, 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-2nd-craft-show-nov-10-2012-a-t205668.html)

pollyjvan9 11-11-2012 06:03 AM

My 2nd Craft Show, Nov 10, 2012

1 Attachment(s)
I took quilts, some baby items, aprons and potholders to two craft shows this weekend. First time ever. It was so much fun, not just selling my things, but visiting with all the people who stopped by the booths. I sold some items, took some orders, and handed out lots of information sheets. Financially, it was so much more successful than I expected. My daughters and I are looking forward to attending more craft shows next year! The photo was taken late yesterday afternoon, we were really pooped. These are my two daughters that I love and appreciate so much, could not have handled this weekend without my older daughter, Paige, on the left. She climbed ladders and carried lots heavy stuff.

Tartan 11-11-2012 06:09 AM

I am glad you had a successful craft show! No wonder people wanted to stop to talk with that show stopping appliqué quilt in the background! I hope if you sold that one you got a whole sack full of money.

Blinkokr 11-11-2012 06:16 AM

Terrific, great job and Thanks for sharing, glad you and DD had a great time.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

KathyAire 11-11-2012 06:19 AM

Good news on the craft show. It always makes it so much better when you do sell some things.
I'm in the process of making the 'Woodland Creatures' quilt behind your daughter. I have six blocks done and I'm behind that same amount (six blocks). I love that quilt.

pollyjvan9 11-11-2012 06:26 AM

KathyAire, like you I love the Woodland Creatures quilt. I have been working on this quilt for about three years and bought the pattern a couple of years before that. I had it at the craft show as an example of SPECIAL ORDER and am making this one to keep for myself. I am still in the process of quilting it. It is about 75% completed. Have you posted any photos of your blocks? Would love to see what you are doing.

pollyjvan9 11-11-2012 06:31 AM

Tartan, I didn't actually sell either of the quilts in the photo, however one lady does want one of the Oklahoma Centennial quilts, but had to talk to her husband first. She may call back and maybe not. No, my asking price is not a "stack" of money. Actually very little for my labor, but on the orders I took, I explained that it could be up to six months before delivery - half down, balance on delivery. Since I have never sold any quilts or taken orders, I really didn't know what would be the best way, but with half down, if they don't pick up the quilt, I will still have had the fabrics paid for. Does this make sense?

Diane007 11-11-2012 06:49 AM

Best of luck with the selling

Tartan 11-11-2012 07:59 AM

YES, you always should get half down or enough to cover your materials. If they don't pick up the quilt you can at least sell it and get back the labour amount.

oma66 11-11-2012 08:10 AM

I will never understand why a lot of folks will not buy a quilt at a quilt sale/show, but will flood the Lancaster, PA Amish/Mennoite quilt shops and shell out hundreds of dollars for a quilt. I have been in Lancaster twice and saw lots of money paid for their quilts. My sister-in-law is one of them --paid $900. for a quilt she keeps in a bag in the closet.

I think you are very wise to ask for half down to cover the fabric at least if taking on a commissioned work. Glad you did make some sales and had a great time with your lovely daughters as well. I hope you will be blessed with more sales in the future.

sewbizgirl 11-11-2012 08:27 AM

Those are the most complicated quilts I have ever seen at a craft show... more like what you would see at a Quilt Show. So glad you did well! What kinds of items were selling well? Just curious, as I would like to do craft shows too and I'm trying to gauge what sells at them. Thank you.