Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My 4th Quilting Project---"White Christmas" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-4th-quilting-project-%22white-christmas%22-t38818.html)

danmar 03-06-2010 06:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody! I was so happy with this quilt. It was my first real "Quilt", not just a throw. I saw the pattern in a book and decided to make it out of Christmas fabrics instead of blues. I got all the 16 patches (or whatever) made and then laid them out on the blue background material to see how it was going to look. I was so excited......until I saw the results. I didn't like it.

There was just way too much of the blue background material. I finally showed my Mom when she came over and asked her to help me figure out what to do since I had NO clue. She suggested just making a smaller blue square and framing it with white. I loved the look then. So after she left and I was ready to work on it again, I laid it out with some white strips to see it again. It looked alright, but I wasn't happy with the big blue square when all the rest of the squares were 2".

So I did just what anyone would do....who was a glutton for punishment. I cut the blue squares out, but cut 4 - 2 1/2" instead and then sewed them all back together!!! :lol: :lol:

It was so funny, because my Mom had been after me to let her teach me how to quilt for 10 years. I had always teased her by saying, "Why would I want to cut up all that material, just so I could sew it all back together again???" And then, that's exactly what I did! Not even to a different colored fabric which is the norm. :P

It took a little longer but I think that it looks way better. My Mom then taught me to do the setting triangles and I got it finished. It is also tied with a blue/gray embroidery thread.

When I got it all finished, I decided that it would look really awesome with a dark fabric in place of the white. So, I started another one which I will post soon.

My 4th Quilting Project "White Christmas"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]805[/ATTACH]

Finished size---81" x 104" Nov. 2008
[ATTACH=CONFIG]806[/ATTACH]

The Blue/Gray backing and A Close-Up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]807[/ATTACH]

Tootsie 03-06-2010 06:21 PM

Wow! That's a beautiful quilt! Great job, can't wait to see what you do on your next one :thumbup:

littlehud 03-06-2010 06:31 PM

That turned out wonderful. Are you hooked yet. Sounds like you are. Great job on your quilt.

danmar 03-06-2010 06:54 PM

Thank you for the compliments. This quilt was my 4th quilting project. I finished it in November of 2008. I have now been quilting about a year and a half. I was hooked on quilting after the first project that I only finished in Oct. of 2008. That's why I was on my 4th project in November. All I could do was quilt! That's still basically all I do. I have made soooo much stuff in the past year and a half that you would think I'd been doing it for years!!!! I'm going to post more pictures of my projects until I get them all posted. Keep watching.

shequilts 03-06-2010 07:18 PM

I love your quilt. It's beautiful. You have a good eye for color composition.

Rebecca VLQ 03-07-2010 07:30 AM

Woooo. So pretty! :D

jewelps 03-07-2010 07:55 AM

pretty

wvdek 03-07-2010 08:14 AM

Wow, quite an undertaking for your 4th project. Well done.

Bucket 03-08-2010 07:42 AM

I think it looks great! I really like the pattern, and your colors as well.

n2scraplvr 03-08-2010 08:03 AM

Gosh, you did fabulous for only your 4th project! Wish mine had been half as good as that! I'm still trying! Colors are beautiful! :-D :-D