Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Challenge Quilt is Complete! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-challenge-quilt-complete-t6653.html)

zyxquilts 04-29-2008 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, OK! I've been talking about this in chat for weeks...now here are the pics....Since I want them to stay in order, I'll do them one at a time. :D
The Challenge is for my guild quilt show "Alice in Quilterland". We were given a fat quarter of a floral Moda fabric, with the only instructions being that the quilt should go with the theme of the quilt show and must contain a "recognizable" amount of the Moda fabric on the front of the quilt.
It took me forever to come up with an idea. First I thought & thought about the Disney animated movie - nothing. Then I got the book from the library & read it - still nothing gelled. Then all the sudden it came to me as a whole quilt! "When Alice Was BIG" Alice looking thru' a window into a little house! :D
Here's the full-size pattern I drew out, with a picture of my friend Mallory's eye in place.

full size pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9472[/ATTACH]

zyxquilts 04-29-2008 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next is the couch I "built". I decided to make the different sections of the quilt separately, and fuse them with a little bit of a gap between them so I could see where to do my little zigzag outline.

the couch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9478[/ATTACH]

zyxquilts 04-29-2008 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took a pic of my friend Mallory's eye, cropped it to size & printed it out onto some June Taylor printable fabric, then fused it in place. Next came the window "frame" around the eye.
I traced the shape of the 'quilt' that it on the couch onto some Prepared For Dye fabric, and then colored it in with fabric pens (Tsukineko). When I first fused it onto the couch, it was sorta blah....until I outlined it with a yellow/gold polyester thread! It looked so much better, that I decided to "quilt" the couch quilt too, and then it looked just like I wanted it. :D

close up of couch with quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9502[/ATTACH]

window & couch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9551[/ATTACH]

zyxquilts 04-29-2008 09:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And now - the whole thing! The Challenge fabric is what I used on the curtains. I tried to paper piece the wall quilt above the couch, but had trouble with the curve, so resorted to more Steam-a-Seam2! lol The wall quilt is actually quilted & hanging from its own quilt hanger, and the curtains are hanging from a curtain rod too. Both the curtain rod & the quilt hanger I made from silver floral wire.
Originally, that was it, but I decided the spot under the window needed something....the Cheshire Cat!! I wanted him to be 'disappearing', so I made him out of the same fabric as the background, then drew on his grin. :D Voila! Finito!!
This is one of the first times I've had a quilt actually look like what I was imagining when I started! Usually they take a left turn somewhere & make their own statement. :wink:

And even better....I still like it! LOL

Cheshire Cat close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16307[/ATTACH]

"When Alice Was BIG!"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57725[/ATTACH]

jbsstrawberry 04-29-2008 09:55 PM

Very creative!! You did a great job!! The eye trick is wonderful and how cute is that curtain. My favorite aspect hands down though is the couch quilt!! Very well done!!

tlrnhi 04-29-2008 11:18 PM

That is too cool!
good job!

barnbum 04-30-2008 02:33 AM

Wow, wow, wow. That is amazing. You are one very imaginative quilter!!

Up North 04-30-2008 02:44 AM

Awsome! So creative!

kathy 04-30-2008 03:11 AM

the idea is perfect, and you pulled it off perfectly! and I agree i like the couch the best, but it's all darling, and your friend has a nice eye!!!

lin 04-30-2008 03:26 AM

Omygosh that's fantastic!!!!!!! What a wonderful imagination you have. I could never have thought that through and brought it to fruition like you've done. My hat's off to you zyx!! I think that's a winner for sure. :)