Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My easy peasy scrappy placemats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-easy-peasy-scrappy-placemats-t137891.html)

luce321 07-16-2011 03:38 PM

They are really nice, great way to use up scraps.

MargeD 07-16-2011 03:41 PM

Love the fabric and they really liven up the table. I like that you "burped" the placemats. I usually use that method when making placemats, table runners - shorter than 45", wall hangings and sometimes baby quilts. I've used this method for about 15 or so years, when I made 25 -12" flag wall hangings for each family at our family reunion and they loved them. I knew I didn't want to use binding, it would be too time consuming, so what I do is (after burping the quilt of course) sew around the outside about 1/2" and it appears as if you had bound the quilt. I like the strippy version though, so I'm going to "borrow" your idea for some placemats. Thanks for the idea and they look great.

ShabbyTabby 07-16-2011 05:33 PM

They are awesome! Now I have a new idea for scraps that is easy, fast, and cute. Great idea for "Thank You" gifts.
and Thank You for sharing

lheizen 07-16-2011 06:19 PM

I have a lot of left over strips that will will work well thanks for the idea

karate lady 07-16-2011 08:54 PM

great idea. put it in my "ideas". Just sketch it and save it. will be great gift for my dds. thanks.

kriscraft99 07-17-2011 06:56 AM

ahhhh... maybe "burped" is the term I should be using instead of "birthed"

I forgot to mention that I did sew all the way around, appx 1/2" after burping them

I'm so glad everyone likes these - I sure love making them and they are super quick to whip out. I can only imagine how fast these would be to complete using long strips that come in a jelly roll.

Originally Posted by MargeD
Love the fabric and they really liven up the table. I like that you "burped" the placemats. I usually use that method when making placemats, table runners - shorter than 45", wall hangings and sometimes baby quilts. I've used this method for about 15 or so years, when I made 25 -12" flag wall hangings for each family at our family reunion and they loved them. I knew I didn't want to use binding, it would be too time consuming, so what I do is (after burping the quilt of course) sew around the outside about 1/2" and it appears as if you had bound the quilt. I like the strippy version though, so I'm going to "borrow" your idea for some placemats. Thanks for the idea and they look great.

LovingIzabella 07-17-2011 05:11 PM

These are awesome!! Love them. I have always been afraid to try placemats because of the binding but I just may have to give this a try. Thanks so much!
Hugs
April

The Quiet Quilter 07-20-2011 09:22 PM

Very nice and pretty. Love
the idea of the strips.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Sharon

violetsfarm 07-21-2011 04:02 AM

Kris - How clever, they look so fresh and easy to make. Thank you for posting the directions.

rootyr 07-21-2011 04:05 AM

Awesome!