Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first Batik (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-batik-t102748.html)

Linda B 02-24-2011 03:29 PM

Yes, you should prewash the batiks. I also do not use the big washing machine, just use some Woolite in the kitchen sink with pretty warm water, swish around really good, then rinse in warm water until there is no more color in the water. Haven't done a Dresden yet, but it is on my to do list, which keeps getting longer and longer!!

sharoney 02-24-2011 03:30 PM

Yes, wash, dry, and starch when you iron. I don't think it makes alot of difference what starch you use, it's just the canned gets pretty pricey if you make alot of quilts. I buy the starch concentrate and mix it to my preference (the directions are on the bottle) and put it in a spray bottle.

Do you have a pattern for your Dresden? If you find that your "plates" won't lie flat after stitching them all together, you may have to take a little bit more than 1/4" seam towards the middle of the plate in order to make them fit.

Your choices are beautiful- it should be a gorgeous quilt.

earthwalker 02-24-2011 03:31 PM

Those fabrics are stunning! Thanks for sharing your "before" pics. I think a Dresden Plate will be absolutely perfect for this selection.

Now for the other queries.....I am a dyed-in-the-wool pre-washer of everything and I also starch. Haven't used the old fashioned starch for ages....bit too much fiddling around (I have Lupus and arthritis...so I tend to take the easy way most of the time). I buy the cheapest generic canned starch available, because I use a lot, it does make for a nice crisp finish.

This is obviously a very special project to you, so care at each step will prevent any "oh dear" (or worse) moments later.

Would love to see this as you progress and the finished quilt should be a knockout! Happy quilting.

Shelley 02-24-2011 03:33 PM

I'm with Lori on this. Wash them!! While true batiks have been in really hot water to remove the wax, there is usually still dyes floating around.

Batiks work great for tops, but some batiks can cause problems as backs. The weave is so tight that the needle tends to break threads instead of going between the threads. Sew Batik makes their wide backs from goods that are like quality quilting fabrics, and use the batik techniques for the color. I use them for my own batik quilts as well as recommend them to my customers because they are a well made product.

emerald46 02-24-2011 03:43 PM

I can't wait to see this beautful quilt!!

Jo M 02-24-2011 03:55 PM

These will make a stunning Dresden Plate. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I am another lover of batiks too.

ann clare 02-24-2011 03:57 PM

Beautiful batiks

redquilter 02-24-2011 04:56 PM

Those are scrumptious. Make me think of sherbet.

mcdaniel023 02-24-2011 05:08 PM

Beautiful fabrics! Can't wait to see the finished project.

kathdavis 02-24-2011 07:37 PM

I can see why you couldn't resist. They are beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

I just purchased some batik for my first all batik quilt. Can't wait to get started. Just found out that tomorrow is a snow day, so I can sew all day. Hooray!