Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first completed quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-completed-quilt-t270799.html)

Abashobbes 10-06-2015 07:06 PM

My first completed quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I've been a lurker here for some time watching and reading as I dream about my quilting future....which seemed to be a "never" possibility due to time restraints. As life has thrown me some curve balls, I'm suddenly 'free' to venture into this dream. So last month I received a wedding invitation from a niece...the first of 17 to get married. Seeing so many of you post pictures of quilt gifts, I decided to make a quilt for my niece with maybe starting a tradition of doing so for each of my nieces/nephews in the future. I've started 5 other quilt tops in the past couple of years but they remain UFOs. Hmm...could I really get one finished in time? I found a free pattern on Connecting Threads called Moonshadow. I made a variation of that one...adding borders around the individual squares, and a double border around the entire quilt. I completed the binding last night. The wedding is this Friday in Ohio. I had to bring a machine to finish the quilting and binding while visiting this week. Here is the final product. I'm pretty excited about it even though I know there is much to do as far as improvements.....everything actually lined up fairly well, squared off superbly, and I overcame my fear of trying stippling. I quilted some random squares on the first border and spent nearly 5 hrs peppling the second border. I'm definitely planning my next quilt...a lap quilt for my mom with t-shirts from her 15 grandchildren.

Tumdarra 10-06-2015 07:08 PM

beautiful colours, and I like that design....very nicely done

beaqltr 10-06-2015 07:10 PM

Congratulations on finishing your first quilt. I like it.

QuiltnNan 10-06-2015 07:14 PM

very nicely done

QM 10-06-2015 07:15 PM

Good design, good fabric choices. I wish I could say that my first quilt looked half that good.

Grandma Peg 10-06-2015 07:19 PM

Great quilt, especially for your first.

sewbizgirl 10-06-2015 07:21 PM

That's a wonderful quilt... especially for a first!

yngldy 10-06-2015 07:52 PM

IMPRESSED!! Great job.

Stitchnripper 10-06-2015 07:58 PM

Very impressive. It's a beautiful quilt!!

slbram17 10-06-2015 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Abashobbes (Post 7338072)
I've been a lurker here for some time watching and reading as I dream about my quilting future....which seemed to be a "never" possibility due to time restraints. As life has thrown me some curve balls, I'm suddenly 'free' to venture into this dream. So last month I received a wedding invitation from a niece...the first of 17 to get married. Seeing so many of you post pictures of quilt gifts, I decided to make a quilt for my niece with maybe starting a tradition of doing so for each of my nieces/nephews in the future. I've started 5 other quilt tops in the past couple of years but they remain UFOs. Hmm...could I really get one finished in time? I found a free pattern on Connecting Threads called Moonshadow. I made a variation of that one...adding borders around the individual squares, and a double border around the entire quilt. I completed the binding last night. The wedding is this Friday in Ohio. I had to bring a machine to finish the quilting and binding while visiting this week. Here is the final product. I'm pretty excited about it even though I know there is much to do as far as improvements.....everything actually lined up fairly well, squared off superbly, and I overcame my fear of trying stippling. I quilted some random squares on the first border and spent nearly 5 hrs peppling the second border. I'm definitely planning my next quilt...a lap quilt for my mom with t-shirts from her 15 grandchildren.

You did a great job, and I like the color combinations. Very nice.