Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Dear Jane Blocks Need Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-dear-jane-blocks-need-advice-t113222.html)

familyfun 04-03-2011 02:11 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I posted part of this on the main page.
Sorry to any who have seen the double post.
But I wanted to post somemore block pics.

I have came back for somemore advice form the experts. I started my dear jane quilt yesturday and have 14 blocks done. I started with the easy one first and used pp.
I am not good at applique. I threw away my first two projects because they looked terrible. I decided to do machine applique on a dj block and I think it looks horrible so I watched somemore videos on line and thought I would raw fray edge a couple of them. I was wondering if you think it will cause a problem in the future. I have no idea how well it holds up. I dont see this quilt being washed everyweek. But over time how well does fray edge stay. I used a very small stich 1.2
For some reason my machine would not do the applique stich it was putting a zag in it. It is in pics belso. So I decided to straight stitch. What do you all think?

This is the block with the messed up stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179182[/ATTACH]

this is the frayed edge applique
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179183[/ATTACH]

Jennifer 04-03-2011 02:15 PM

14 blocks done so far. You are on a roll!!

4girlsmimi 04-03-2011 02:58 PM

Looks great so far. Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Mariposa 04-03-2011 02:59 PM

You're off to a great start!

milp04 04-03-2011 03:06 PM

Your blocks look great! Keep up the good work. Don't ever throw out your blocks, they were probably much better than you imagined. Even if you think a block isn't good, you will never notice that one block once it's all put together.

Pam M

Fabaddict 04-03-2011 03:36 PM

on my dear jane quilt I appliqued the blocks by machine - raw edge, button hole stitch, they look fine.

pab58 04-03-2011 04:00 PM

Love your blocks! Personally, I would consider redoing the last one. I think the applique peces will be a problem in the future -- even if not frequently washed. As time-consuming and with as much skill it takes to construct the Dear Jane quilt, it will be a quilt that will get passed on from generation to generation. You certainly want it to hold up to the test of time. You could use either the freezer paper, starched-edge or "glue down" method and then use the stitch you used in the first one if you want it to look decorative -- or choose another stitch of your choice. There are lots of online video tutorials to help you out with any number of applique methods so you should be able to find one that you are comfortable using. :wink:

I hope I didn't overstep the line with my comments. I don't mean for them to be rude or hurtful in any way. :| I'm sure that whatever you choose to do your quilt is going to be beautiful!!! :thumbup:

carrot 04-03-2011 04:07 PM

You're doing great !!! On mine I use Steam a Seam 2 and fuse the pieces down and then satin stitch around... hope that helps .

familyfun 04-03-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
Love your blocks! Personally, I would consider redoing the last one. I think the applique peces will be a problem in the future -- even if not frequently washed. As time-consuming and with as much skill it takes to construct the Dear Jane quilt, it will be a quilt that will get passed on from generation to generation. You certainly want it to hold up to the test of time. You could use either the freezer paper, starched-edge or "glue down" method and then use the stitch you used in the first one if you want it to look decorative -- or choose another stitch of your choice. There are lots of online video tutorials to help you out with any number of applique methods so you should be able to find one that you are comfortable using. :wink:

I hope I didn't overstep the line with my comments. I don't mean for them to be rude or hurtful in any way. :| I'm sure that whatever you choose to do your quilt is going to be beautiful!!! :thumbup:

OH. No. I am not offended at all.. I was actually just watching a tutorial on blanket stitch before I came back over to the board. I think it needs redone also. Since the only stitch on my machine that is actually working like it should is the straight stitch. I think I am going to try my hand at hand applique again. I really do appreciate all the feed back. I am not offended at all. I think I needed someone else to tell me to redo it.. LOL

connie_1936 04-03-2011 09:07 PM

have you tried just a zigzag? will your machine do that? i very often use invisible thread with a zigzag when i have lots of colors in my blocks. use it in the bobbin too. the stich you show in your pics would work too. definitely use a fusible along the edges of your pieces. hand applique will take a long time but will be beautiful if you choose that option. good luck ps, i seem to remember a tut on using fusibles only along the edges posted here.