Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My FIRST full quilt...thanks to mcdaniel103....BUT please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-full-quilt-thanks-mcdaniel103-but-please-help-t149906.html)

PghPat 09-02-2011 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OOOPS....THAT SHOULD SAY MCDANIEL023. NOT 103

I have only been quilting for a year and a half now and never had the desire to make anything larger than a wall hanging...UNTIL I saw mcdaniel023's Floral Log Cabin. I went back to look at pictures of hers more times than I'd like to admit. I finally PM'd her and she told me where she got her fabric and I went online and ordered enough for a queen size quilt. That fabric sat for 5 months because I was too intimidated to cut into it.

Well, two weeks ago I went on a quilt retreat (so fantastic I'll have to write about it later) and this was the project I took to work on. Started it on a Monday evening and finished at midnight Saturday...retreat over next day, Sunday.

NOW my problem...I made the strips too wide - 2 1/2 (2" finished). As you can see by the second picture it is plenty long but not wide enough. I planned on putting a pale blue 2" border and then a wider dark floral border......enough for the sides to come down just over the dust ruffle. But I don't want to add that much more length to the top and bottom.

Would it be okay to put the blue border and then a much shorter floral border on the top and bottom or would that look stupid?

I haven't begun to think about quilting.......how to....one step at a time. I know mcdaniel023 has the same machine as I do...a JANOME 6600P and she quilts full size on it but I'm not nearly as experienced. All I've done is SITD.

Thanks to McDaniel that I'll soon have my first full sized quilt and hope there's no problem being a copy kat. Thanks also for every one of you on this board. I don't post often but I am addicted to reading the posts and have learned a lot from ALL of you.

Pat

From here it looks good
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250554[/ATTACH]

NOW what
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250555[/ATTACH]

leatheflea 09-02-2011 03:08 PM

My goodness that is gorgeous! First quilt! you go girl your a born natural. I say go with your gut, you're doing a fine job so far!

Glassquilt 09-02-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by PghPat
Would it be okay to put the blue border and then a much shorter floral border on the top and bottom

Yes, you can do that. Your quilt, your rules.
Audition the borders you want (pin them in place), step back and take a look.
Walk away. Go shopping. Go to work. When you return take another look.
No rush. Think about it until you're happy.

Quilt looks beautiful.

the casual quilter 09-02-2011 03:18 PM

You did a great job! This is absolutely beautiful!!!!!

sue1964 09-02-2011 03:19 PM

I'm pretty new at this stuff too. But What you may want to try is to follow the patten you have so far and mak the sides look like the bottom to finish the pattern. so it don't stop looking like it was cut off. By the way it looks beautiful.

pattypurple 09-02-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt

Originally Posted by PghPat
Would it be okay to put the blue border and then a much shorter floral border on the top and bottom

Yes, you can do that. Your quilt, your rules.
Audition the borders you want (pin them in place), step back and take a look.
Walk away. Go shopping. Go to work. When you return take another look.
No rush. Think about it until you're happy.

Quilt looks beautiful.

Good suggestions. Can't believe this is you first quilt. Nicely done

buckeyed 09-02-2011 03:25 PM

Very nice. It is your quilt,do what makes you happy with it!!

MarshaEIEIO 09-02-2011 03:37 PM

That is just darling ! Love It, Love It! You do anything you want on borders!

alikat110 09-02-2011 04:02 PM

Gorgeous!!!!

hobo2000 09-02-2011 04:07 PM

Great colors and beautiful quilt.