Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first Irish Chain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-irish-chain-t3031.html)

Steve 11-04-2007 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve got my Double Irish Chain ready to border finally (a small 2 inch orange and a larger 4 inch brown frame I'm thinking). This was supposed to be for a Queen, stretched out on my California King mattress and seems extra big already; I could hardly get it in the screen to photo. :roll:

lin 11-04-2007 09:19 PM

Fess up Steve. You have a whole troupe of quilting elves helping you out while you sleep at night. Right? :lol: How can one man possibly get so much done? And do it all so well?

Very impressive. Love the colors! Perfect for Fall.

redrummy 11-04-2007 09:33 PM

Beautiful quilt top. I love it. the colors really pop, yet do not dominate the quilt. looks very well put together.
Deb :mrgreen:

Steve 11-04-2007 10:04 PM

Thanks! Lin, I actually had this partially pieced about two weeks ago but petered out by the time I got to putting it together vertically. There are also a few spots (1 inch squares) I plan to go over by hand since I'm not completely satisfied with a couple of seams.

I'm still not convinced of my color choices with the border as well as the backing fabric. The orange I originally picked out seems very bright to me distracting from the top, which now to my way of thinking, simply won't do. Maybe just stick to a matching brown and back with a pale yellow? If I turned the back for binding that could work huh?

Karenmay 11-05-2007 02:26 AM

I love it, but just one question Steve.....how many hours are there in a day where you live? lol! How do you get so much sewing done....do you ever sleep!!!!!
Come and stay with me for a couple of weeks...I can find you plenty of unfinished projects to keep you busy!

patricej 11-05-2007 03:02 AM

extend the "checkerboard" far enough into the border to complete your diamonds along the top, bottom and sides; then add one or two borders and you'll have a queen size big enough to be useful to two people. brown border. either an orange back or a brown backing-as-binding. pale yellow would be inconsistent.

and for cryin' out loud ... quit obsessing over a few gafarbles nobody but somebody not good enough to judge will even notice. take your mother to dinner during the time you'll save. donate the savings in headache remedies to a local charity. if you're gonna pick up a needle and thread for anything but the binding ... use it to do the quilting.

you have nothing to prove. do you? besides ... a quilt should enhance your life ... not swallow it whole.

Moonpi 11-05-2007 06:26 AM

I like it! My quilts always run big, too. I think it comes from years of sharing a bed with a covers hog.

You sure work fast!

Steve 11-05-2007 08:00 AM

They are loose stitches that show through on the corner of a couple of squares Patrice, and I do want it to stay in one piece otherwise I'd do as suggested.

Can hardly wait to start on the quilting; I'm thinking of hand stitching on the diagonal.

I think where I goofed up on size wasn't really a goof. The pattern must have accounted for the pillows. :roll:

Diamonds 11-05-2007 08:35 AM

Steve, I love it.... Just remember we are our own worst critiques :lol:

I just realized last night going through some posts that you are actually new to quilting :oops: Looking at your work I honestly thought you had been doing it for awhile..

I was not as good at it as you are when I started... You do beautiful work..

Shadow Dancer 11-05-2007 09:24 AM

It's gorgeous! Great job! :)

My first quilt ever was an double Irish Chain for my daughter when she was little...she dragged that quilt everywhere she went, didn't matter to her that some of my seams didn't match up, she loved it. :) Now she's an adult she has her eye on my Links bargello...I'm guarding that one with my life... lol