Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Lone Star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-lone-star-t61822.html)

Candela59 08-30-2010 05:47 AM

Beautiful! Well worth the wait in MHO!

greaterexp 08-30-2010 09:22 AM

Forgive the stupid question, but why can't one use Warm and Natural for hand quilting?

overdew 08-30-2010 09:35 AM

All I can say is a big TX "WOW"!

bonniebusybee 08-30-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by greaterexp
Forgive the stupid question, but why can't one use Warm and Natural for hand quilting?

There aren't any stupid questions in quilting .... we're all in a learn-as-you-go class. i would have asked the same question six months ago, because I'd heard so much about how wonderful it was. It IS wonderful for machine quilting, but the first time I tried to put a hand stitch in it, I bent the needle! It was like trying to quilt with a hammer and a nail. I called a knowledgeable friend and told her what was happening and she just kind of chuckled when I said "Warm'n'Natural." She told me to take it off the frame (that meant take out four rows of border quilting!) and soak the batt in cold water in my washer, spin it just enough that it wouldn't drip, and then dry it on air fluff in my dryer .... no heat. It helped, but it was still difficult to quilt .... I had to wear a surgical glove to pull the needle through!

bluesnowdoe 08-30-2010 04:50 PM

beautiful

KarenBarnes 08-31-2010 06:51 AM

Beautiful quilt! I also took a year plus to do a Lone Star, quilting it by hand. I used the W&N though and didn't have any problems. I quilted in my lap though without a frame.

bonniebusybee 08-31-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
Beautiful quilt! I also took a year plus to do a Lone Star, quilting it by hand. I used the W&N though and didn't have any problems. I quilted in my lap though without a frame.

How interesting! I just checked my batt-bag; mine was a 4 oz. Does W&N come in different weights for different uses, i.e. hand vs. machine quilting?

I LOVE your logo-quilt. It's a beauty!

kristen0112 08-31-2010 07:19 AM

It's absolutely gorgeous. If she doesn't like it you can take it back from her and let me know I would show you appreciation :-)

MaryAnna 08-31-2010 10:42 AM

Just gorgeous...what's not to love about it! Great job!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

KarenBarnes 08-31-2010 08:03 PM

How interesting! I just checked my batt-bag; mine was a 4 oz. Does W&N come in different weights for different uses, i.e. hand vs. machine quilting?

I LOVE your logo-quilt. It's a beauty![/quote]

Thanks, it was my # 4 kid's wedding quilt. I honestly don't know if the W&N comes in different weights. I've only bought it at JoAnn's. I just bought some at Craft Warehouse because I got it for $5 a yard! I'm not an online buyer although I could probably save money that way, I haven't been shopping that way.