Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first, & maybe only, flannel quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-maybe-only-flannel-quilt-t240422.html)

TnBecky 02-05-2014 10:46 AM

My first, & maybe only, flannel quilt

2 Attachment(s)
I love the feel & warmth of flannel in the winter so I decided to try making a flannel quilt. I had asked for suggestions awhile back about an easy quilt pattern & someone sugested a snowball quilt. I went on the search & fell in love with this pattern. The only problem was that the quilt has a few "puckers". I startched, spray basted, pinned & it still stretched, so if anyone know of a good tutorial on making flannel quilts PLEASE let me know. I love the colors on the top & I used a soft gray flanel on the back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460646[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]460647[/ATTACH]

Grandma Bonnie 02-05-2014 11:01 AM

I'm no help but your flannel quilt is beautiful! I'm sure it's warm and cozy!

Jingle 02-05-2014 11:07 AM

I have not made a flannel quilt nor used flannel. I have some flannel I have thought about making a comforter with it and tying it. Just haven't got to it yet.

Tartan 02-05-2014 12:11 PM

It turned out great even if was a difficult quilt! Flannel is more difficult to work with but other than starching the heck out of it, I don't have any tips. I used a busy flannel on the back of a huge quilt and was pleased to only have a couple of small pleats on the back. I carefully used a matching thread and did an invisible ladder stitch and stitched them down. Even I can't find them due to the busy patterned flannel.

Halo 02-05-2014 02:00 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. You done a fantastic job on it. Do you have a walking foot? Sometimes that will stop the stretching of fabric. Some only use it for straight line quilting, but it also works during piecing the blocks. I am not big on the snowball pattern, but love how you done yours.

carolaug 02-05-2014 02:41 PM

I love your quilt. The snowball pattern is not a really easy pattern anyways, but you did a wonderful job! I love using backing for my backings.

kathdavis 02-05-2014 02:43 PM

Great colors and I love the pattern. It looks very cozy.

Jitterbug 02-05-2014 03:44 PM

Please do not let the few puckers hinder you from seeing the beauty of your work,for this quilt IS beautiful.I love it.You did a great job on it,and the colors are perfect.I like the added dimension of the diamonds by the way you constructed your snow ball blocks.Just wonderful.I know what you are saying,the aggravation,frustration of the difficulty of flannel. gets to the best of the quilters at times.I can only speak as a hand quilter my own times of frustration with flannel,but I've seen the machine quilters say many times on this board how rough it can get with flannel.I only said all that to just hope that you can still see your quilt as beautiful, and hope you will be proud of it.I'll gladly send my address to take it off your hands to help with your frustration...LOL!

terri bb 02-05-2014 04:24 PM

that is an awesome quilt pattern and i really love the pattern! flannels are great for rag quilts! i haven't tried to make a traditional quilt with one yet. but yours is beautiful! the easiest way i have found is to iron it from the backside.

Mariposa 02-05-2014 04:37 PM

Nicely done! Looks cuddly and cozy!