Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first panto quilt..not as easy as it seems! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-panto-quilt-not-easy-seems-t298898.html)

oksewglad 08-13-2018 03:49 PM

My first panto quilt..not as easy as it seems!

5 Attachment(s)
This is quilt #13 on my LA, but the first one I've tried with a pantograph. Like everything done for the first time I have learned so much. 1st...following a design with a laser light is not easy. 2nd...watch where you start the design...ideally past the edge of the quilt. 3rd...fill in the partial row at the top as well as at the bottom. 4th...give it a whirl because only practice makes you comfortable. I chose this design because I thought it would help create muscle memory when I FMQ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599515[/ATTACH]

Keeping the lines nice and even and circular...what a challenge!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599516[/ATTACH]

Just off the LA

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599517[/ATTACH]

The back...wowsers...get the sunglasses out! The picture is slightly yellowed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599518[/ATTACH]

Trimmed and ready for the binding...using the yellow from the pieced backing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599519[/ATTACH]

Maggie_Sue 08-13-2018 04:19 PM

Wow that is a beautiful quilt and the quilting is just great, you are certainly proving practice makes perfect, or very close to perfect!!

BrendaK 08-13-2018 04:46 PM

You did a wonderful job. BrendaK

Barb in Louisiana 08-13-2018 05:12 PM

Hey...you and I could be partners. Mine looks like that too. I don't worry about it, because they are unique and once they are washed, it is not so obvious. I've learned that I like really open panto patterns.

sewbizgirl 08-13-2018 05:23 PM

What a cute quilt!

I tried panto at the quilt shop and found it really hard to follow the lines. I wasn't anywhere near them with the laser! I felt like I could make better shapes by working freehand. But like anything, I'm sure you get better the more you practice.

Tartan 08-13-2018 05:29 PM

​Well done!

oksewglad 08-13-2018 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8110749)
Hey...you and I could be partners. Mine looks like that too. I don't worry about it, because they are unique and once they are washed, it is not so obvious. I've learned that I like really open panto patterns.

Sew good to know that I'm not the only one that quilts like this! I wanted to share because so many times we see these beautiful quilting jobs and well it just doesn't happen overnight does it? Good to know that washing helps hide the distorted spirals! A couple of grands have claimed they like it and it may wander up to their house...who knows?

oksewglad 08-13-2018 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8110757)
What a cute quilt!

I tried panto at the quilt shop and found it really hard to follow the lines. I wasn't anywhere near them with the laser! I felt like I could make better shapes by working freehand. But like anything, I'm sure you get better the more you practice.

Yes, SBG...it's so hard to follow those lines...I did think that this could help in muscle memory so that when I am freehanding it would come easier. I have another panto that's feather like that I bought for the same reason. The next quilt is going on the frame and I'm going to meander it...need to boost my self esteem a bit after quilting this one!

wesing 08-13-2018 05:55 PM

I like your quilt and think you've done a great job. True following the lines I see not always as easy as you think it should be. I don't know if this will help you, but when I started I found I was going too slow. It seems when I have a bit of speed on the curves that the weight of the machine helps me round them out. Maybe try following the pattern with the laser on but the machine off and see if that helps.

JeanieG 08-13-2018 06:39 PM

OK - I think you did a fantastic job!!! I really liked the variegated thread color you used, it really ties it all together!