Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My First Paper Piecing Project. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-paper-piecing-project-t289981.html)

twinkie 07-28-2017 06:20 AM

My First Paper Piecing Project.

4 Attachment(s)
I have missed a few of my quilt guild meetings due to a procedure done on my foot. I did not get to take the class with instructions. My DH took my by the quilt house last week for a quick visit. The president gave me the pattern but said when you can come and stay for a little while, we will give you the instructions.
I haven't been back yet. But being the impatient person I am, I decided to figure it out myself. Here are the results.
First Bird House
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577466[/ATTACH]
The directional fabric isn't straight so this one is wonky
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577467[/ATTACH]
Don't think there is enough difference between background
and the roof of the house.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577468[/ATTACH]
Thought the pink, purple and blue batik would pull all the houses
together. WRONG.

Another problem with the two houses with more than one "bird hole" in them, the yoyos I used do not look like they are the same size. Needless to say, I am not real pleased with the finished project but here it is and I did learn how to do it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577469[/ATTACH]
What is going to happen is 16 ladies are going to do one of these blocks. Of course each one will be different. All of the blocks are going to be put together and each ladies name is going into a bowl. Then a name will be drawn and that member gets all of the blocks to make a quilt. I think if I do another one, I will put buttons on them so they are all the same size. Thanks for looking.

osewme 07-28-2017 06:40 AM

Good for you for learning to PP. I've never been able to do it well as it always seems so backwards to me. I guess I need a lot more practice. I waste a lot of fabric when I try it. Thanks for showing us your "firsts".

Diannia 07-28-2017 06:48 AM

I think they look fine! Bird house entries aren't all the same size....

Great 1st try at learning how to paper piece. I didn't learn from a class either. A friend showed me how to a long time ago then I basically forgot and watched YouTube to teach myself again. I love YouTube!

lynnie 07-28-2017 07:12 AM

great that you learned pping. I was taught awhile ago, and now I have a working knowledge of it.

QuiltnNan 07-28-2017 07:55 AM

great job, especially without instructions

Watson 07-28-2017 08:27 AM

Good for you that you kept at it and learned to do it on your own. I could never have figured it out by myself.

Watson

twinkie 07-28-2017 09:50 AM

It really was not difficult especially with the pattern I was given. However, according to Diannia, there is a You Tube video available that gives great instructions. You might try it.

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7873602)
Good for you that you kept at it and learned to do it on your own. I could never have figured it out by myself.

Watson

BrendaK 07-28-2017 10:14 AM

Good first try without instructions. You just have to keep going. BrendaK

Barb in Louisiana 07-28-2017 10:27 AM

I like the bird houses and the fact that they are a bit wonky adds to their appeal to me. I think you did a great job. I'd love to win your blocks.

ube quilting 07-28-2017 12:15 PM

These are so cute. A very nice starter for PPing.