Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My first quilt - "With Love" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-first-quilt-%22-love%22-t128856.html)

Selena 06-07-2011 04:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've helped piece two other quilts for charity with my homemakers club but this is my first start to finish quilt. It's for a family member of my DH who has a terminal brain tumor. It started as a lap quilt to use in her wheelchair. It was a little oversize(as things usually are with me) but things happen for a reason. While I was quilting it, we were told she's in the hospital under hospice care. Now it's just the right size @ 52 1/2" X 75 1/2". In the interest of time, I had to drop some of the details I had planned like quilting the big heart-my LA just wouldn't do it and there's no time to do it by hand. I designed the big fleece heart for her hands to rest on in the wheelchair. The blocks will be signed by loved ones so she can be reminded of how much she is loved and her family can be reminded that they are not alone and they all share their love for her. It may sound corny but they like the idea. It's on it's way to her but she may not live to even see it let alone wrap up in it. Instead of a comfort quilt, it may be a memorial quilt. I named it "With Love". I used a feather design with hearts instead of feathers and hearts on the blue blocks. It's all freehand as I'm sure you can tell. Thanks for looking. I'm proud of it.

sorry it's side ways again
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208391[/ATTACH]

front with first signatures- sorry it's sideways
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208393[/ATTACH]

quilting close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208395[/ATTACH]

LoriEl 06-07-2011 04:54 PM

What a comfort it will be to her. She'll always be covered in love!

earthwalker 06-07-2011 05:01 PM

It's beautiful. Not just because it is a pretty quilt, but all that love and thoughtfulness that got stitched into it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

lisalisa 06-07-2011 05:02 PM

that's a beautiful thought and wonderful idea. I was going to make one for a friend who is in a wheel chair. The fleece center to rest the hands on is brilliant.

Selena 06-07-2011 05:07 PM

Thank you, just don't use fusible to attach it, the machine doesn't like it.

mythreesuns 06-07-2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
What a comfort it will be to her. She'll always be covered in love!

This brought tears to my eyes. I so hate that damn C word... the heart ache it causes so many people. I do not know one person, who has not been touched by a cancer patient. A ex-co-worker (he retired now), has lost his wife to breast cancer, and now two sons to cancer. His two sons within the last 6 months.

RuthFru 06-07-2011 05:09 PM

It is a beautiful quilt and such a beautiful thought.

Selena 06-07-2011 05:14 PM

I lost my little sister to "C" 9/11/2010. They brought in fleece blankets made by volunteers. That touched my heart. Any comfort no matter how small is huge in that situation.

Dee G 06-07-2011 05:38 PM

What a wonderful quilt and such a beautiful gift.

debcavan 06-07-2011 06:12 PM

A quilt covered in love=wonderful